Today Canada’s shut its borders (excluding non-citizens, non-permanent residents, and Americans) and the BC Provincial Health Office banned all gatherings over 50 people.
At a time like this, when we’re all shuttered in at home, entertainment and the arts can be a wonderful thing to share – virtually of course. Yesterday the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra performed Beethoven’s 6th to a theatre audience of zero, and an online audience of 26,000.
Free Concerts to Watch at Home During COVID-19 Distancing
If you’re looking for more free LIVE concerts to watch at home during COVID-19 distancing in Vancouver and beyond, here’s a quick list of artists playing Quarantunes:
- Jann Arden did a free 45 minute concert on Facebook on March 16th »
- Dan Mangan was supposed to play a concert last night in Toronto. Instead he recorded a little show (for no audience) that will be played tonight on YouTube starting at 6:00pm PT on March 16th. Watch his “Quarantunes” show here »
- Social Distancing Festival opera, poetry, choirs, art, theatre and more! A daily lineup of free, streamed entertainment here »
- Stay at Home Festival, a lineup of live-streamed concerts from a variety of musicians March 20-22nd.
- Keith Urban played an Instagram show from his home on March 16th, watch it here »
- Katharine McPhee & David Foster will go live with concerts from their home on Instagram every day at 5:30pm.
- The Dropkick Murphys will stream a live show from Boston on St Patrick’s Day March 17th, watch here »
- Melissa Ethridge is doing a full series of 15 minutes Facebook Live Sessions from March 17-31, watch here »
- Indigo Girls will go live on Facebook on Thursday, March 19th at 3:00pm PT.
- John Legend will stream a performance on March 17th, stay tuned to his Twitter account for details »
- Ben Gibbard (of Death Cab for Cutie) live from home daily, starting March 17th at 4:00pm, watch on Facebook here »
- Festival I Stay Home is happening March 17-22 online. Close to 100 musical acts will perform 30 minute sets in an Instagram live.
- Dave Ricketts live from his living room, March 16th at 8:00pm PT, watch here »
- Soul City TV has a lineup of live concerts planned on Facebook »
- Cordovas, an American rock band in Nashville, will stream a live concert on March 19th and March 21st at 6:00pm PT on Facebook »
- Sarah Smith is doing an online concert fundraiser on March 19th at 4:00pm PT.
- Diplo will be doing live sets from his home, daily at 7:00pm on Twitter, YouTube and Twitch.
- Neil Young will have a Fireside Concert series streaming live online, dates currently unconfirmed, follow on Facebook here »
- New York’s Metropolitan Opera is streaming past productions from its award-winning Live in HD series of cinema transmissions while the opera house is closed.
- Ivan Fischer and his Budapest Festival Orchestra will be livestreaming nightly chamber concerts in a series they have called Quarantine Soirées on March 16-18th at 6:45pm.
- Scott Helman will host a series of live performances on Instagram Stories from his home in Toronto.
- Tim Hicks will host a St Patrick’s Day concert on Facebook Live starting at 4:00pm PT on March 17th.
- Lights will perform a set on March 18th at 6:00pm PT on Instagram here »
- Jeremy Dutcher will host a live set from his living room on March 20th. Details are on Twitter so far »
- Hanorah, Janette King, Laps and more will play Hot Tramp and Diving Bell Social Club’s Stay at Home Sessions March 21st on Instagram »
- 604 Records is hosting QuaranTOUR with its artists (like Mariana’s Trench, daily on Instagram »
- iskwē with live stream daily with guests that include Anthony Carone of the Arkells, Ryan Redcorn of the 1491s, and more on her Instagram »
- Ria Mae and multi-instrumentalist Chris Wong will host Isolation, Together, a live-by-request concert on Instagram »
- Rufus Wainwright will perform daily via Instagram in his Musical Everydays series »
- Hozier #TogetherAtHome live stream on Instagram March 20th at 12:00pm PT here »
- Jenn Grant will host a special online concert on March 21st via Instagram »
- Diesel Bird is a digital music festival on March 28th that will feature Dallas Smith, Jess Moskaluke, Meghan Patrick, Tebey and more. Hosted by Dan Davidson on Instagram »
- Elijah Woods x Jamie Fine host In my Bed With ExJ + Friends via Instagram and Facebook Live every Thursday at 6:00pm PT; every Sunday at 2:00pm PT they host In the Kitchen; and every Tuesday at 4:00pm PT they host In the Basement via Instagram and Facebook Live.
- Early Music Vancouver will stream archive concerts weekly »
- CBC Music has posted a lineup of Canadian artists here, listed by date »
These will most likely become more common over the next few weeks so this list will be updated as-necessary. Have a tip? Leave a comment below and follow Miss604 on social media. Thanks!
- Berliner Philharmoniker
- Nightly Met Opera Streams
- Live Sessions by NPR
- Tiny Desk Concerts by NPR
- YouTube Live
- 15 Broadway Plays and Musicals
Related: Virtual Museum Tours in Vancouver, How to Be Productive While Working from Home, COVID-19 What’s Open or Closed in Vancouver, Streaming Vancouver Festivals During COVID-19 Social Distancing