Cook along with talented local chefs, for a cause! Dan’s Legacy Foundation’s Chefs in the House, presented by Pacific Restaurant Supply, is a virtual fundraiser that will support the charity’s trauma informed counselling and life-skills programs for youth at risk in Metro Vancouver.
Chefs in the House
- When: October 20, October 27 and November 3, 2021 from 6:00pm to 7:00pm
- Where: Watch live from your home
- Registration: Now open for $25 per household or $100 for a Chef Class Pass. Tickets eligible for a partial charitable tax receipt. Your ticket includes admission to the live interactive Zoom event, Q&A with the Chef, and exclusive early access to the online silent auction.
For the second year in a row, participants are invited to join the live Zoom-cast with chefs Shay Kelly (The Caterer) and Andrew George (BC’s first Indigenous Red Seal Chef), as well as pastry chef Alannah Peddie (Frolic & Forage), for a one-hour, interactive cooking show, live from the test kitchen at Pacific Restaurant Supply in Vancouver.
- October 20, 2021 – Scrumptious Starter with Chef Shay Kelly
- October 27, 2021 – Dinner Tonight with Indigenous Red Seal Chef Andrew George
- November 3, 2021 – Just Desserts with Pastry Chef Alannah Peddie
- Cook-Off Competition – Secret Chefs (will be announced soon)!
A 4th pre-recorded show, available to all access Chef Class Pass holders, will showcase the talents of two chefs competing to create a dish in one hour from a box of surplus food. The competition will be judged by Cassandra Anderton, President of Les Dames d’Escoffier.
“We had such a great time with last year’s series of shows, that we decided to keep the fun going this year,” says Barbara Coates, Dan’s Legacy’s executive director. “Everyone enjoyed the interactive nature of the event – being able to cook along with the chefs and ask questions in real time. We’re looking forward to seeing guests from last year and welcoming all newcomers!”
Food and cooking are integral to the success of Dan’s Legacy’s core counselling program, which is supported by its recovered food collection program. Each month the charity collects over 14,000kgs of donated surplus food from three grocery stores in Vancouver and Burnaby, and delivers the product to 14 charitable organizations. A portion of the food supplies Dan’s Legacy’s food bank as well as its “Intro to Cook” job-skills training program in New Westminster. The majority of the charity’s clients are youth aging out of foster care with significant mental health challenges, many are homeless, and all are hungry.
Since the start of COVID-19, Dan’s Legacy fielded a 50% increase in referrals from other agencies, as well as identified a 50% increase in hospitalizations for youth with psychosis, overdose and suicide attempts. Dan’s Legacy’s team of trauma-informed therapists go directly to the youth wherever they are, there is no wait list and its programs and counselling services are free.
Can’t tune in live to all the classes? No problem! Each one will be recorded and sent to ticket holders for private viewing later.
Win a Chefs Class Pass!
I have a Chefs Class Pass to give away that includes access to all of the events including the special cook-off competition. Here are several ways you can enter to win:
- Leave a comment on this blog post (1 entry)
- Like/comment on this Facebook post (entry)
- Copy/paste the text below to enter on Twitter (entry)
I will draw one winner at random from all entries at 12:00pm on Wednesday, September 8, 2021. UPDATE: The winner is: Cheryl Inger!
About Dan’s Legacy
Dan’s Legacy provides trauma and culturally-informed counselling and life-skills intervention programs for youth at risk in Metro Vancouver. In the past five years Dan’s Legacy has helped over 400 youth meet their educational, employment, and recovery goals.
Miss604 is a proud sponsor of Dan’s Legacy Chefs in the House