Surrey Memorial Hospital is hosting a sneak preview of its new emergency department next week which will be open to the public.
On Saturday, July 13th, 2013 from 10:00am until 3:00pm you can check out Canada’s second largest emergency department in Surrey, which will officially be open October 1st, 2013. The new, bigger, state of the art facility is the size of three hockey rinks and during the public preview you will be able to:
- See inside the trauma room
- Tour the separate Pediatric Emergency Department just for kids, 1 of only 2 in BC
- Learn how wait times to be triaged will be shorter
- Peek inside the new patient treatment rooms (there’s over 100 of them)
- Check out the new electric stretchers
- Find out how they are reducing the spread of infectious diseases
- Hear about the new CT scanner and mobile x-ray machines
- Learn about new services for mental health and substance use patients
With most of my family being born at Surrey Memorial (over the span of three decades) and with most of them still in the area, service upgrades and new developments are always welcome announcements.
When Surrey Memorial Hospital first opened its doors in 1959, it was a 103-bed facility supporting a population of 75,000. Today, Surrey Memorial is the second largest hospital in British Columbia and provides a full range of hospital services to a community of over 600,000 people from Surrey to Delta and from Langley to White Rock. Surrey Memorial has the busiest emergency department in British Columbia with over 90,000 patients visits per year.
Hospital parking will be free during the preview on July 13th and you can enter at the southwest corner of 94A Avenue. Follow Surrey Memorial Hospital on Facebook and Twitter for more information about upgrades, services, and the public preview event.