Vancouver History: Before and After Part Eight

Tuesday, October 13th, 2009 — 9:00am PST

For the eight installment of my Then and Now Vancouver photography series I thought I would change things up a bit. I’m going to be using images from the City of Vancouver Archives but instead of modern day images for the “now” portion of the post, I will be using Google Street Views.

Hornby @ Robson Back of the Court House (now the Vancouver Art Gallery with the 2nd Hotel Vancouver in the background)
1923

1890s

Harry T. Devine – ITEM #: LGN 1048

1919

ITEM #: CVA 1376-121

2009

View Larger Map

Should you have any theme suggestions for the ninth installment of this series, please feel free to drop a comment below.

1. Tyler Ingram says:

I wondered what happened to that arch for Stanley Park. I’ve seen its photo creep up here and there around town. Too bad they couldn’t keep it by either expanding it or relocating it.

Cool use of using the StreetView!

2. fotoeins says:

Hey, Beck. I agree with Tyler; the Google StreetView is a great idea.

Just a question about the view-direction for Main & Hastings, that looks like a west view along Hastings, because from Main, Hastings runs slightly downhill to Carrall. If true, would the caption then be “west down Hastings”? 🙂

3. TheQuack says:

Fun idea, Rebecca! 😀

@fotoeins You’re right, I’ll have to consult my iPhone compass next time 😉

5. Alan Hawker says:

Great stuff!! Love the incorporation of Google Street view.
    Wow, the causeway has changed so much, sadly.

6. Gladys says:

Hi Rebecca. I’m really enjoying your series and was wondering if you’d consider a theme of educational institutes in Vancouver. From public to private schools and also universities. Might be interesting. Thanks!

7. greg(arious) says:

I KNEW IT!
    The construction at Granville + Dave started in 1912 and it STILL ISN’T FINISHED!

8. […] and think up my latest Then and Now post so if you have any theme suggestions (such as Hotels, Street Views, Apartments, Tourist Spots etc.) I’d love to hear […]

Movies for Mommies Vancouver