iPhone versus Slurpees, the July 11th Showdown

Wednesday, July 9th, 2008 — 4:00am PST

$2 Squishee CupsA while back I was invited to a Facebook event that would celebrate the (official) arrival of the iPhone in Canada on July 11th. Lately with all the news about plans and the fact that you can only get the iPhone at a Rogers or Fido outlet several people have had enough.

This afternoon on Twitter the iPhoneInCanada blog reminded us all that July 11th is also Free Slurpee Day at 7-Eleven stores across North America. Granted, the size of the free Slurpee cups are rather diminutive compared to a regular Big Gulp but still, free frozen sugar is always a treat. So here’s my poll for the week – what are you most excited about now on 7-11-08, the iPhone’s arrival at Rogers stores or Free Slurpee Day?

[poll=10]

• Enter here to win tickets to A Charlie Brown Holiday Double Bill (until Nov 19)
  • Enter here to win tickets to see Ed the Sock's War on Stupid tour (until Nov 22)
  • Enter here to win a $100 gift card for Potters Christmas Store (until Nov 23)
  • Enter here to win a $100 Fresh Prep gift card (until Nov 23)
  • Enter here to win a Date Night to Akram Khan’s Chotto Desh plus $50 for dinner at Silk Vancouver (until Nov 18)
  • View a complete list of contests »

1. David L. says:

I don’t live in Canada, but I don’t know how excited I’d be over those high rates.

2. Tyler Ingram says:

I would like to admit that I didn’t realize the connection of the free slurpee day for 7-11 on July 11th 😉

I must be slow! Will 7-11 do the random free slurpee day giveaway like they have been doing for the past couple years? You hear the announcement on the local radio and that day you could go in an get a free small slurpee!

Btw if you do like the taste of gatorade the G2 slurpee isn’t bad.

3. Raul says:

I’m not going to lie. I want a free slurpee 🙂

4. Beth says:

Seeing as I don’t even come close to having enough money for an iPhone, but I can totally afford a FREE Slurpee… you’ll find me at 7-11 on Friday!

5. Chris says:

Slurpee. Partially because you don’t need to sign a three-year contract in order to buy one.

6. Oddity:
    I’ve done business with Nedco/Rogers @3rd and Burrard since 5lb Motorolas were the in thing. Nedco is not being allowed to sell the Iphone.

7. Matt McLean says:

Why not get a slurpee for the long wait?

8. Jessica says:

It’s hot. It’s a Friday. I want a Slurpee!

We’ve been really excited about this at work – we’ve been joking about getting a slurpee machine for about a month now.

Sad, I know. But office culture is that way sometimes.

A Morning at the Vancouver Aquarium