Canadian E-Fest Brings Formula E to Vancouverby
The countdown has officially begun toward a one-of-a kind 3-day Canadian E-Fest – more than just a race weekend! The event will welcome, for the first time, the ABB FIA Formula E World Championship to the streets of Vancouver and offer plenty of action off-track beginning with a creative business conference on sustainability followed by concerts in the evening.
- When: June 30 to July 2, 2022
- Where: The course will be around the False Creek area
- Tickets: On sale online Friday, October 8, 2021 at 12:00pm Pacific
- The sale will offer grandstand tickets, suite tickets for the unique E-Volve conference, and daily general admission tickets while including all activities on and off-track, during the whole weekend. For all ticket holders, free access will be granted to Science World, the E-Sports Tournament, and the fun-filled Allianz E-Village.
Today, the program was unveiled and it includes more than just a race weekend.
Canadian E-Fest Includes 4 Pillars
- E-Prix — headlined by the ABB FIA Formula E World Championship where the world’s leading all-electric race series will take to the streets of Vancouver for the first time.
- There will also be a Celebrity Race featuring Olympian Charmaine Crooks, Canadian actor/director Jason Priestley and Olympic freestyle champion Alexandre Bilodeau, to name a few, who will be participating in 12 Solo single-seat EV street cars produced by Vancouver’s own Electra Meccanica.
- Both the Formula E and Celebrity Race will feature Grid Kids, providing 24 children with the opportunity to create lifelong memories around up-close exposure to the stars and the Formula E drivers and their cars,
- E-Live — 2 nights of concerts as part of Canadian E-Fest featuring internationally known recording artists
- E-Volve — a 2 day conference staged by C2 International, a leading events innovator that creates and produces forward-thinking successful business events around the world, featuring prominent speakers.
- On June 30th, Erin Brockovich will take the stage as a first keynote speaker. Brockovich became a 20th century icon overnight thanks to Julia Roberts Oscar-winning performance. Erin’s dogged persistence was the impelling force behind the largest medical settlement lawsuit in history. Aside from being a New York Times Bestselling Author, she’s known as an iconic environmental activist and consumer advocate.
- E-Sports — a tournament gathering virtual gamers across Canada, beginning next spring leading all the way up to the event where the finalists will line up on the starting grid on stage, in front of an enthusiastic crowd to cheer their favourites.
“The real driving force for me in pushing for Vancouver to be the Canadian host city for the ABB FIA Formula E World Championship in 2022 was economic recovery. Stimulus events like this are significant for our city and hard-hit tourism sector, plus they bring hope and fun for residents” said Councilor Sarah Kirby-Yung. “With climate change, we also need to advance the dialogue around and adoption of electric mobility and Formula E can inspire people to make those choices” Kirby-Yung added.
Other events scheduled for the 3-day E-Fest include a paddock tour for False Creek residents to thank them for the privilege of using their neighbourhood. The newly named City Gate Straight on the track will be inaugurated in honour of the False Creek Residents Association (chaired by Patsy McMillan). July 1st, the promoter invites all Vancouverites to run, walk or cycle on the False Creek race circuit.
“More than just another race, the ABB FIA Formula E World Championship coming to Vancouver for the summer of 2022 is truly an electrifying event” said Royce Chwin, President and CEO of Destination Vancouver. “We have much work to collectively do as we rebuild our visitor economy that supports the many tourism-related businesses. The OSS Group have put together an incredible event and festival blending competition, knowledge sharing and culture with a critical focus on sustainability and green economy initiatives, all of which fits our drive to build our city and tourism industry back, better.”
E-Fest was organized by the Canadian OSS Group as a means to bring awareness of environmental leadership to the world, specifically by staging the event in Vancouver, one of the most sustainability conscious cities in the world. The event is expected to top $80 million in economic value, and create approximately 3,000 jobs. Launch attendees were treated to a taste of “black water” offered by Trace, the Official Water Supplier for the Canadian E-Fest.
Update – Concert Headliner Announced
Diamond-certified, globally celebrated rock band Nickelback will kick off summer in their high-energy way, headlining an outdoor concert on the Vancouver E-Prix track, Friday, July 1, during Canadian E-Fest weekend. Tickets for the E-Live concert with Nickelback go on sale to the general public on Friday February 11th, with a presale the day before for E-Fest ticket holders, on a first come first serve basis. Tickets will be limited to 8 per buyer for both the presale and general on sale.
For information and the latest updates about Canadian E-Fest, follow along on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
Update – Canadian E-Fest Weekend Postponed
April 22, 2022: The City of Vancouver confirms that today One Stop Strategy Group Inc. (OSS) has elected to exercise its rights under the Host City Agreement to postpone the Formula E Event currently scheduled for July 2022 in Vancouver to a future date.
The City and OSS Group will continue to work together and hope to announce a new date in the near future.
City staff will report on this to Council at a date and time yet to be determined to request Council’s approval of an updated Host City Agreement.