Back in 2008 I liveblogged the Interesting Vancouver event at the Vancouver Rowing Club. Founder Brett Macfarlane brought together over a dozen informative, creative, inspirational and thought-provoking speakers that night and the event has continued every year since. On Friday, November 7th, the 7th annual Interesting Vancouver will take place at the SFU Woodward’s Goldcorp Centre for the Arts.
Running from 6:00pm until 11:00pm, this fascinating gathering of the curious and unexpected will showcase the region’s most interesting people and the way they express their creativity through their hobbies, passions and obsessions.
- Joan-E: a seven foot tall drag queen obsessed with bingo
- Jamie D. Grant: a paramedic/magician/artist who will change your life before you leave the room
- Kristin Lehman: popular film and TV actress who credits Vipassana meditation for saving her life
- Bev Davies: a legendary punk rock photographer from Vancouver’s thriving early music scene
- Craig Addy: a composer who heals people through improvised music as they lay under his piano
- Harrison Lee: 14-year-old national champion YoYo-er, and several more interesting people
- Lt. Col. Harjit Sajjan: Canada’s first Sikh commanding officer who passionately believes in the ripple effect
- Khelsilem Rivers: Indigenous multidisciplinary artist working to reverse the decline of Squamish language speakers