October is BC Hydro PowerSmart Month which focuses on sharing information about conserving energy, using electricity wisely, finding the right electronics and lighting options for your home, and offering great deals and savings to consumers. Throughout PowerSmart Month I will be sharing updates, deals, and a few exciting giveaways.
This morning I walked over to Georgia and Granville downtown where the BC Hydro PowerSmart team setup the Power Experiment. From today until Friday, October 5, 2012 you can stop by and walk through the setup to see just how much power you use every morning when you’re getting ready. Pick up a booklet and post a sticker to everything you would touch that uses power — remember the faucet counts because it takes power to make hot water!
This demonstration will move around the province this month with a stop in Kamloops and then in South Surrey. The point is to make everyone aware of how much power they’re using everyday, just during a normal routine.
Power-Eaters in the Morning
- Using a hair dryer for 5 minutes in the morning can eat up 36.50 kWh.
- Leaving a small lamp on for an hour can use 27.38 kWh, which is almost double the power you would use if you turned on the microwave for two minutes.
- Coffee makers are the biggest offenders since they’re usually left on longer than any other appliance when you’re getting ready for work. If you have it on for 10 minutes it can use up to 54.75 kWh.
Everyday PowerSmart Tips for the Home
- Reducing your shower time by 1 minute will save approximately $15 year.
- Put up some drapes to limit cold drafts and save up to 15% on your heating bill.
- Since the coffee maker uses the most energy of all small appliances used in the morning, consider turning off the heating element while you enjoy your brew to save.
- LED bulbs cost more, but they can last up to 25 times longer than an incandescent bulb – and use at least 75% less energy. The lifespan of an ENERGY STAR LED is 15‐20 times longer than an incandescent and about three times longer than a CFL.
Learn more about energy-efficient appliances, fixtures, and design inspirations at the Vancouver Home & Design Show which is coming up October 11th to 14th at BC Place.
Celebrity guests include HGTV stars like Bryan Baeumler and Jillian Harris, stylist Janette Ewen, colour expert Maria Killam, designer Alykhan Velji, and Graeme & Tammy Huguet of My House Design/Build. The Exhibitor List is extensive and you can search for products that range from bathtubs to blenders.
You can get a 2 for 1 admission discount by getting your tickets using this link and using the code: powersmart.