Celebrate Indigenous culture and history by becoming a Talaysay Tours App supporter through their Kickstarter campaign, on now until June 21, 2023 and see Stanley Park through their Indigenous lens.
Update! This is fully funded and is available now in the app stores (Apple, Android)
Indigenous Stanley Park Tour App Project on Kickstarter
Talaysay Tours provides uniquely native outdoor cultural tours on the Sunshine Coast, up the Sea to Sky in Squamish and Whistler, and in Downtown Vancouver. Their goal and inspiration is to provide authentic cultural and eco experiences. Their signature offerings for the last few years include Talking Trees, Talking Totems, and the Spoken Treasures tours in Stanley Park. The new app will expand on these popular experiences.
When Indigenous Oral History Meets Technology
- The project is an Indigenous-guided tour of Áx̱achu7 (Beaver Lake), X̱wáy̓x̱way (Lumberman’s Arch) and Pápiy̓eḵ (Brockton Point Totem Park) all contained on your mobile phone.
- Virtual guides will teach you about the land, totems, art, culture and stories of Stanley Park, a gathering site and home to xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) peoples for thousands of years.
- Access generations of oral history and teachings shared for the first time using the exciting location-based video player and interactive map, allowing you to explore the Talking Trees and Totems Tours at your own pace.
- Experience the tours from your mobile phone from where you are, anywhere in the world. Or, if you’re visiting Stanley Park, open the app and guides will pop up as you walk along the tour path. They’ll tell you all about the plant, tree, totem or piece of art you are standing next to.
- Learn about Indigenous culture, geography, history and language through play through educational interactive games.
You can back the Kickstarter project here. There are a variety of levels of support, from a $10 contribution, to a $50 level with the app, buttons, and tote bag, a $95 level that includes your own tour, and many more. Pick the pledge that works for you and help make this app a reality!
This campaign ends June 21st on National Indigenous Peoples Day and campaign supporters will receive the Fall/Winter App on June 30th.
Throwback! My first tour with Talaysay Tours in 2014