A few summers ago, John and I were walking back from a sporting event at BC Place at dusk. The city was buzzing with activity and we came across the free outdoor movies in Downtown Vancouver. Folks were seated at šxʷƛ̓ənəq Xwtl’e7énḵ Square with their food truck fare enjoying the film surrounded by the hustle and bustle of the city at night. It was a really cool scene that made me appreciate where I live.
Thanks to the Downtown Vancouver BIA, you can experience summer movie nights in the city every Thursday from mid-July to mid-August.
Free Outdoor Movies in Downtown Vancouver
- When: Every Thursday from July 7 – August 18, 2022
- Activations start at 4:00pm each night, with the film screenings starting at sundown
- Where: šxʷƛ̓ənəq Xwtl’e7énḵ Square (formerly known as the Vancouver Art Gallery North Plaza)
- Admission: Free!
“The return of Summer Movie Nights marks the beginning of an exciting event-filled summer,” says Nolan Marshall III, President & CEO of the DVBIA. “Our Placemaking and Public Spaces team is committed to creating vibrant and inclusive events and activations that will enhance the downtown core and its community. We have welcomed thousands of movie-hungry visitors to the square in previous years, and we expect to exceed those numbers this year.”
Activations include hula-hooping, mini-golf, stilt walkers, drum circles, choirs, and more. Thursday, July 28 will feature a special pride take-over by Van Vogue Jam with drag performances, go-go dancers, and music by DJ Black Cat from Toronto. Food trucks will be on-site every week, and attendees are encouraged to bring their own seating.
Film Schedule – Every Thursday
- July 7, 2022 Mean Girls
- July 14, 2022 Jumanji (1995)
- July 21, 2022 Spiderman: No Way Home
- July 28, 2022 (PRIDE) Moulin Rouge
- August 4, 2022 Space Jam (1996)
- August 11, 2022 Jurassic Park (1993)
- August 18, 2022 (Audience Vote Night) – Dune or Godzilla vs. Kong
Follow the Summer Movies Nights Instagram account for updates.
Related: Free Outdoor Movies in Stanley Park 2022