Capilano University Students of the Arts & Entertainment Management Program are officially debuting Dragstravaganza, a drag artist competition and fundraiser. This event will feature Vancouver’s local drag artists competing for the title “Mx. Honey”.
When: Sunday, April 18, 2021 at 7:30pm
Where: Livestreamed on Vimeo – BlueShore Financial Centre for the Performing Arts, Capilano University
Tickets: Available online now, pay what you can. Proceeds support the Queer Arts Festival.
This event will be livestreamed for the audience to enjoy from the comfort of their homes. Performers will be showcasing their improvisation skills, runway style and special talents. Audience members will vote for their favourite performers during this event, with the winning contestant receiving a $500 cash prize, plus all competing artists will have opportunities to win exciting prizes.
The mission is to generate a positive and inclusive event to celebrate this vibrant art form in Vancouver and give students real-life experience in the arts and entertainment industry. This event also shines a spotlight on the wonderful work of the Queer Arts Festival – as the only transdisciplinary professional arts festival in Vancouver dedicated to showing the work of Queer artists.
Vancouver’s Drag Superstar Gia Metric will be hosting the performance and Alex Dooley from Dooley Noted Productions is providing his consulting services for this event.
- Bromley B is YYJ drag’s premiere Broadway drag thing! Bromley is known for their ability to flip from campy musical theatre numbers, to performing in edgy emo shows. Bromley may not be the brightest bulb in the bunch, but they’ll make sure to win you over with their bright thembo smile.
- Amanda Tori Meating is the winner of the 2008 Franklin Montessori Hotdog Eating contest. She has dazzled audiences around the world in the touring company of Kinky Boots, and one day hopes to become a successful dominatrix and/or dog whisperer.
- Krystle Beth was born behind a dumpster in an alley in Toronto. Crawling her way to the West Coast during an acid trip, she was reborn on Wreck Beach and rode a sea lion to the West End in search of a steady gig. She can be found screaming “Babbabooey” and “Go Leafs Go” from her balcony during the 7PM shoutout to Front Line Workers, and when the Pandemic is over, she hopes to become a GoGo Dancer at Celebrities who is paid in Tequila Shots.
- Lola Perez claimed her presence a year ago. She is kind, fierce and bounces back. She may be young but don’t underestimate her, she is ready to bring her all, darling!
- Fresh out of the clown car, Jester Minute is a 19-year-old queen from Abbotsford. They only started doing drag one year ago but have always had a passion for the performing arts.
- Entity Ecstasy – Eccentric, erratic and all around dramatic, entity is a being of cosmic absurdity sent to leave us with more questions than we started. Far from the expected, this queen will leave you inspired, yet confused in the best way possible.
- Shyenne Pepper is a drag performer who likes to toe the line between fashion and comedy, often failing in both. She first emerged in Vancouver at the age of 22, but only after moving back there she grew up in Mumbai, India. She has performed in and hosted ~30 shows in Mumbai and digitally, and now she is ready to make her Vancouver debut!
- Esme Inhaler is a brand-new Queen to the scene and is so excited to perform with all these amazing folx and have a ton of fun. A lip sync assassin who is no stranger to comedy, Esme’s years of musical theatre training really pays off on stage! Fun fact: Esme’s alter ego is a proud Musical Theatre student at Capilano.
RSVP on Facebook for updates.
Cap U’s Arts & Entertainment Management Program
The one-year certificate and two-year diploma in Arts & Entertainment Management at Capilano University allow students to immerse themselves in the business side of the arts and entertainment industry and get ready for a fast-paced career in a growing and dynamic sector, including real-world experience in external practicum with professional organizations.
Related: Queer Arts Festival WICKED Online for 2020