The Vancouver Art Gallery reopening is set for June 15, 2020 after closing due to COVID-19. The Gallery aims to provide a welcoming and safe environment so that all visitors can enjoy exhibitions with ease.
Vancouver Art Gallery Reopening
To salute our frontline workers, the Gallery will be offering two mornings or free, early access admission during the first week of reopening. The first week of reopening will look like this:
- Monday, June 15, 2020 10:00am to 5:00pm – special reopening day for members, artists and donors.
- Tuesday, June 16, 2020 10:00am to 12:00pm– special hours and free entry for frontline workers and their families; 12:00pm to 5:00pm open to the public; 5:00pm to 8:00pm by donation
- Wednesday, June 17, 2020 10:00am to 5:00pm – open to the public
- Thursday, June 18, 2020 10:00am to 5:00pm – open to the public
- Friday, June 19, 2020 10:00am to 12:00pm – special hours and free entry for frontline workers and their families; 12:00pm to 8:00pm open to the public (new Friday hours)
A full outline of safety measures and protocols can be found online here.
The Gallery reopens with an exciting exhibition line-up. Shuvinai Ashoona – Mapping Worlds and lineages and land bases have been extended to August. New exhibitions that were slated to open in March will now open on June 15th: The Tin Man Was a Dreamer: Allegories, Poetics and Performances of Power and NEXT: Matilda Aslizadeh – Moly and Kassandra. The much-awaited exhibition Modern in the Making: Post-War Craft and Design in British Columbia, which was scheduled for a May opening, will now open on July 18th.
- Rapture, Rhythm and the Tree of Life: Emily Carr and Her Female Contemporaries. On view through December 13, 2020.
- Shuvinai Ashoona – Mapping Worlds. On view through August 30, 2020.
- lineages and land bases. On view through August 30, 2020.
- NEW: The Tin Man Was a Dreamer: Allegories, Poetics and Performances of Power. June 15, 2020, to November 1, 2020
- NEXT: Matilda Aslizadeh – Moly and Kassandra. June 15, 2020, to November 1, 2020.
In order to avoid large group gatherings, all public tours, onsite school and adult programs and special events have been postponed until further notice. This includes all social events, FUSE and exhibition openings. Art Connects and Art At Home online programs will continue to be offered weekly.