What makes a great Canadian? While the answer is subject to perspective, I think most Canadians will agree that understanding who and what shaped our country before eastern influence all the way to present day is a pretty big part of being a Canadian. What if I told you that sleeping in a teepee would make you a better Canadian? Curious? Read on…
Learn more about Abby’s incredible experience at Speaking Earth on ZenSeekers.com »
How Spending the Night in a Teepee Can Make You a Better Canadian
Learning about our Canadian heritage through schooling as a kid, museum visits and books isn’t the same as living it. Entering the teepee was like entering another era. The smell, the wool blankets, the essence of shared space and community was present instantly. Although we had cosier beds than traditional sleeping methods seen in teepees, we felt connected to the earth and each other’s company through proximity. Silently we reflected on the day’s events.
We had attended a language class for the Ktunaxa Nation connecting us verbally to the culture. A tour, short film and museum visit visual connected us through artefacts and provided an educational experience. Our tour guide shared creation stories believed by the Ktunaxa and continued with their history to present day life. For dinner, we ate traditional bison stew and bannock bread served over the fire as the sunset and the stars appeared.
To cap off the evening, we sat with a Ktunaxa elder while she shared legends and beliefs from her culture – a culture that shaped how our country came to be. It was completely magical to listen to history come to life. Our experience at Speaking Earth was as close to living the past as possible in modern times.
Culturally connected, we left with a greater understanding of history, insight to an ancient way of life and gained a deeper connection to a culture that helped shaped our present and will continue to shape the future. Anytime we can learn more about our past and the cultures and events that moulded it, the more awareness we gain and the better choices we can help make for the future of our country, hence making us a better Canadian. This ZenSeekers experience was nothing short of magical!
If You Go
- Visit the Tourism Cranbrook Website for any pre-trip research or stop by the in-town visitor centre for more details on the region.
- Check out the #RockiesExploring pieces on ZenSeekers to see what’s in the neighbouring towns to extend your stay.
- Speaking Earth’s website has all your reservation and general questions covered.
- Read more details on Abby’s trip on ZenSeekers.com and find out what else there is to do in this neck of the woods!
Discount on Flights!
Use the promo code ROCKIES19 when booking your flight on Pacific Coastal’s website to get 10% off all bravo and classic fares!
- Book before 11:59pm on October 21, 2018
- Travel dates must be between December 1 and December 15, 2018 or January 7 and March 16, 2019
- Blackout dates are TBA
- Fares and seats are limited and subject to availability at the time of reservation
- May not be combined with any other program, promotion, or discount
- Valid for travel between Cranbrook and Kelowna, Vancouver or Victoria