Celebrating local food and agriculture around the beautiful province of British Columbia, the brand new We (Heart) Local Awards is a new popular choice awards program. The We Heart Local Awards will recognize key players throughout the industry through a nomination process followed by a public vote.
How it Works
- Nominations will be open July 1st to July 15th, 2013. Anyone living in BC can nominate one or more favourites in the categories listed below.
- Voting will be open July 16th to August 5th, 2013. Anyone living in BC can vote for their favourite nominees in the categories listed below by visiting the Facebook campaign page.
- All voters and nominators are automatically included into a prize draw, for a chance to win 1 of 20 $100 gift cards to their local Farmers Market, as well as the deluxe prize: a weekend wine getaway in the Okanagan.
We Heart Local Award Categories:
Favourite Store to Buy Local
Favourite BC Farmers Market
Favourite Local Meat or Poultry Supplier
Favourite Local Seafood Supplier
Favourite Local Cheese Maker
Favourite Local Sweet Treat
Favourite Local Advocate
Favourite Local Winery
Favourite Local Brewery
Favourite Local Food Truck
Favourite Local U-Pick Farm
Favourite Local Orchard/Fruit Supplier
Favourite Local Restaurant or Café
Favourite Local Chef
Favourite Local Florist or Greenhouse
The celebration of local BC farming communities and the ‘Buy Local. Eat Natural.’ movement are actively supported by formal organizations such as the British Columbia Dairy Association (BCDA), British Columbia Agriculture Council (BCAC) and British Columbia Ministry of Agriculture. Partners for the We Heart Local Awards are BC Association of Farmers’ Markets, Vancouver Farmers Markets, Georgia Straight and Loco.
Nominations open up next week and to raise awareness about the awards, I have a $250 Vancouver Farmers Market gift certificate to offer up to one lucky reader. Here’s how you can enter to win:
- Leave a comment here naming your favourite farmers market products (1 entry)
- Post the following on Twitter (1 entry)
I will draw one winner at random from all entries at 12:00pm on Wednesday, July 3, 2013. Get your nominations in next Monday and be sure to vote for your favourites. Follow ‘Buy Local. Eat Natural.’ on Facebook and Twitter for more information about the awards and their other initiatives across BC.
Update The winner is Elisabeth!