The Vancouver Retro Cinema Fest is bringing cult classics and pop favourites to the Denman Cinemas this month. The 8-day festival will feature 15 hits at the West End theatre including:
- Sunday, September 23, 2012: An Opening You Can’t Refuse: Godfather I, II
- Monday, September 24, 2012: Tarantino Night: Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Basterds
- Tuesday, September 25, 2012: I Heart 80’s: Labyrinth, The Dark Crystal
- Wednesday, September 26, 2012: Spooktacular: Ghostbusters I, II
- Thursday, September 27, 2012: Trekkie Khaaan-athon: Star Trek II, VIII
- Friday, September 28, 2012: Fabulous Friday: Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
- Saturday, September 29, 2012: Lebowski Bash Vancouver: The Big Lebowski
- Sunday, September 30, 2012: Back to the Awesome Night: Back to the Future I, II, III
You may have these films on DVD, you might have them listed as favourites on NetFlix, and you might have caught them outdoors during a Stanley Park summer movie night. You know all the best quotes so what would be better than seeing these flicks in the theatre with hot buttered popcorn and fellow fans? Soundtracks will be blaring, you can show off during trivia time, win prizes, and enjoy themed snacks and drinks.
This festival’s concept will be new to Vancouver by way of Australia. The idea to open a Retro Cinema Fest in Vancouver came to former theatre usher Ronald Tucker, originally from Canada, while working at the Orpheum Picture Palace in Sydney Australia’s North Shore. Starting with the roll-out of the Sydney Retro Cinema, Ronald and his business partners knew immediately they were on to something brilliant. “One of my favourite past times is getting together with old friends to celebrate classic films,” says Tucker. “The aim of Vancouver Retro Cinema Fest is to get film lovers from all over the province to come together and celebrate these classic films in true retro style.”
Catch the double-headers, triple-headers, and theme nights for $20 and two special events for $25: The Lebowski Bash and the Priscilla Queen of the Desert Drag Contest.
Tickets are now available online and showtimes for each day are posted. You can purchase a full Vancouver Retro Cinema Fest pass for all screenings and events for $149. Follow the festival on Facebook and the Denman Cinemas on Twitter and the tag #VRCF on Twitter for more information. Denman Cinemas are located at 1779 Comox Street just off Denman in downtown Vancouver.
Update I have two pairs of tickets to give away to any of the Vancouver Retro Cinema Fest events. Here’s how you can enter to win:
- Leave a comment naming the themed event you would most like to attend at the festival (1 entry)
- Post the following on Twitter (1 entry)
I will draw two winners, who will each get a pair of tickets to the event of their choice, on Thursday, September 20, 2012 at 12:00pm. Update The winner is Dani!