Culture Days in Canada are coming up September 30th, October 1st, and October 2nd as every province and territory celebrates the arts. Events around the Metro Vancouver area include everything from theatre performances to fibre arts studio tours. Major hubs of activity are on Granville Island, at the Burnaby Library, and at the Surrey Arts Centre.
Here is just a small sample of the events taking place around our region:
- Free Guided Visits of the Contemporary Art Gallery
- The Ever Evolving Art of Flamenco
- BIKEnnale – Bike Tour of the Vancouver Biennale Sculptures
- Museum of Vancouver 65th Anniversary Tea Party
- Free Intro to Improvisation Workshop
- Burnaby Public Library’s Metrotown Branch Turns 20
- Surrey Art Gallery Opening Reception for Exhibition Fiction Façade
- Surrey Unveiling Reception for Public Artwork Lightmodal
- Surrey Arts Centre Theatre Open House
- Langley Art Studio Tour
- Chilliwack Cultural Collaboration – Anniversary Celebration
- Chilliwack Spiderlodge’s Open House
Many of the tours and workshops are free for the public so take a look at the map of BC to find events near you.
The official kick-off event will take place with a Vancouver AM Tourism Association breakfast on September 30th at the Vancouver Convention Centre as well as a celebration at the CBC from 11:00am to 6:00pm.
CBC Culture Days Kick-Off
Starting at 10:45am September 30th with Johnny Reid, CBC Vancouver will host hours of entertainment and interactive events. Jian Ghomeshi to host a Q media panel, meet Suhana Meharchand at the CBC News Vancouver tent, enjoy Kids’ CBC Live with with Patty, Mamma Yamma, the Breakfast Froog and special musical guest Amy Millan.
CBC Radio One hosts Margaret Gallagher, Stephen Quinn, and CBC Radio 3 hosts Grant Lawrence, Lana Gay and Lisa Christiansen will also be on-site along with Steven and Chris and Dragons’ Den dragons Jim Treliving, Robert Herjavec and Bruce Croxon.
The evening news will be live from Hamilton Street with Tony Parsons, Gloria Macarenko, Claire Martin and Shane Foxman.
In the evening, Jian Ghomeshi will host a free concert series from 8:00pm to 10:00pm outside the CBC at Hamilton and Georgia with Stars, The Midway State, The New Pornographers and surprise celebrity appearances. The first hour of this event will be broadcast nationally.