Coffee with the YummyMummyClub

Thursday, April 23rd, 2009 — 3:27pm PST

Before anyone jumps to any conclusions about there being a “Baby604” I must clearly state, I am not a “mummy” nor do I plan to be at any point in the foreseeable future. However, there are a ton of yummy mummies in Vancouver and they came out for a Tweetup at Calhoun’s this week with Erica Ehm.

The Vancouver YummyMummyClub

Erica, a pioneer of the music television days, is now the CEO of YummyMummyClub.ca – a gathering place online and social networking resource for mothers across the country.

A superwoman who fits into her size 6 jeans three weeks after giving birth (by scheduled C-section of course)? A sexy mama who shops for groceries in heels, closing deals on her cell phone while waggling finger puppets to stimulate her baby’s growing cerebellum? Give me a break! Yummy is a state of mind.

A true Yummy Mummy struggles to find the impossible balance between the single sexpot she used to be, the woman she’s become, the professional she works hard to be, the wife she aspires to be and the mother she has to be. Basically, she’s confused and exhausted. Forget CEO. THIS is the toughest job in the world. Why didn’t anyone warn us? Can you relate? Then Welcome to the Yummy Mummy Club.

Coffee with Erica Ehm

I stopped by the Tweetup at the request of my friend Rachael (who truly is a yummy mummy) and to meet Erica, who is also one of my Twitter contacts. I ended up meeting several interesting, inspiring, and enterprising mothers as well.

Lucia @CanadaMomDeals

Feedback I heard from the ladies was that it was so nice to have a meetup mid-day and one that was also kid-friendly. I had a nice time meeting the mummies and learning more about networks and businesses online that go beyond blogs and tech.

Gwen @LeftCoastMama

Erica also informed us of DolphinSecure, a system for secure web browsing if you have kids in the house that use the family computer. This was information I could pass on to my sister since she is a mother of five with three computer savvy-kids in elementary school.

Rachael took some video of the meetup (above) and you can read her recap over on her blog. Check out the YummyMummyClub and I have a feeling they might be doing more tweetups in the future.

• Enter here to win tickets to see Ed the Sock's War on Stupid tour (until Nov 22)
  • Enter here to win tickets to see the Barra MacNeils in North Van (until Nov 17)
  • Enter here to win a Date Night to Akram Khan’s Chotto Desh plus $50 for dinner at Silk Vancouver (until Nov 18)
  • Enter here to win a $50 Indigo gift card (until Nov 17)
  • Enter here to win a $100 gift card for Potters Christmas Store (until Nov 23)
  • Enter here to win tickets to A Charlie Brown Holiday Double Bill (until Nov 19)
  • View a complete list of contests »

1. Duane Storey says:

The Strawberry Hill theatre in Surrey used to have special film screenings for mothers so they could bring their kids. I thought that was kind of cool, since nobody had to worry about crying babies in the theaters, and got them out of the house.

2. You are way beyond awesome Rebecca!!!!

3. Darren says:

Good looking site, and, like green social networks, it’s becoming a very busy category. I know more than one PR person who specializes in moms as a target audience.

As a childless male, I do occasionally despair of the pedestal that motherhood enjoys in our culture at the moment, from celebrity mothers on down. The web copy for this site is a good example: is the most common job in human history really also the “toughest job in the world”?

4. Gwen says:

Rebecca, could you send me the pic of me and my baby? I think he looks too cute in his Ramones shirt.:)

It was great to see you again, and it was nice to meet some more of the twitter moms.

5. crunchy says:

Soooooo bitter that I missed it. I was carless and there was no way I could make it to the coffee AND get back intime to pick up kid #1…the joys of parenting..suckage on social networking

6. crunchy says:

And Darren…go ask you mom.
    It may not be ‘the toughest’ but with todays world that screams mixed messages to women…career! home! Family! Job! ….it CAN be tough….mix in lack of daycare resources, costs, space, health, safety, and so on….lots of things to deal with.

@crunchy Oh no! Hopefully next time you guys can arrange a carpool or something

8. Amber says:

That looks like a great time!

And Gwen, your little guy does look adorable. I love the expression on his face. 🙂

9. Jenny says:

@Darren

You are right. Being a Mommy is not a job, it’s a blessing.

10. Adelaide says:

Hey! That looks like fun! Going to check out the website now!

11. Lucia says:

Hi Rebecca, it was great meeting you in person! Thanks for helping us capture our day – I still have “baby brain” and totally forgot to get any pics in that day. Nice writeup and awesome pics!

Lucia
    @CanadaMomDeals

12. […] women through such events as the Enterprising Mom’s Network conference and the YummyMummyClub Tweetup. Having the drive, ambition, and vision to excel in business while taking care of others and […]

13. […] April 2009 Visiting the Developmental Disabilities Association, speaking at the inaugural Tech Valley Social Club meetup, doing my first car (hybrid) review for Earth Day, having an amazing getaway to the Island with Keira (as she brought Jordy home for the first time), meeting Erica Ehm. […]

Brockton IPA from Granville Island Brewing