Third Tuesday Food Drive Success

Tuesday, October 21st, 2008 — 10:18pm PST

This evening at Third Tuesday, Mhairi Petrovic lead a talk about “Marketing New Media to Traditional Decision Makers: Overcoming the Challenges“. She had 10 main talking points, which lead to a rousing discussion throughout the group of about 50 attendees. Using your website to do more than list an email address for your company, how to use Google Alerts to see what others are saying about you, joining the conversation online, dealing with feedback and misconceptions about the internet were all discussed. You can read Raul’s post for all of the details (since my MacBook didn’t seem to want to connect to the network).

Earlier that evening I was collecting donations for a Food Bank food drive. As you can see, the 12 boxes I received from the food bank a few days ago are now completely full, and we have 2-3 more cloth bags full of canned goods. It was so nice to see everyone chip in, whatever they could, to support this cause.

12 boxes + bags all donated at Third Tuesday for the Food Bank

Since the silent auction for the Canucks tickets was a little too silent in the bid department, I decided to raffle them off with all proceeds going directly to the Greater Vancouver Food Bank Society. I would like to keep the raffle going for a little while longer to give others a chance to donate. You can purchase entries, 3 for $5 or 7 for $10. Should you wish to have a chance at these (row 25, section 103, this Saturday versus the Edmonton Oilers) please donate online and send me your confirmation and I will assign you a raffle ticket (exactly like the ones that were given out tonight). I will keep this open until 9:00am tomorrow Wednesday, October 22nd.

These are $100 tickets (each!) and you could have them for $5 or $10. Every $1.00 donated allows The Greater Vancouver Food Bank Society to purchase $3.00 worth of food.

Thank you to Reachd, Kate, Kulpreet Singh, and the Vancouver Giants for donating prizes, to Tanya and Monica for organizing the event, Mhairi for her talk, and Jenn Lowther for giving the donations and me a lift.

I will update this post at 9:05am tomorrow with the winning raffle ticket number. Good luck, and thank you!

Update: By special request from Kulpreet (which he can do since he donated the tickets) this will be held over until 10:00am today. You can still donate and enter to win the tickets until that time.

Update: We have a winner! 548247. And for the record… Cameron is actually not very excited…. maybe cause he didn’t win ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Enter here to win tickets to A Charlie Brown Holiday Double Bill (until Nov 19)
  • Enter here to win a Date Night to Akram Khanโ€™s Chotto Desh plus $50 for dinner at Silk Vancouver (until Nov 18)
  • Enter here to win a $100 gift card for Potters Christmas Store (until Nov 23)
  • Enter here to win tickets to see Ed the Sock's War on Stupid tour (until Nov 22)
  • Enter here to win a $100 Fresh Prep gift card (until Nov 23)
  • View a complete list of contests »

1. Rob says:

I came *this* close to being there myself – maybe next time. Thanks for the post!

2. raincoaster says:

Congratulations! You did a great thing there.

3. […] to Tanya & Monica for organizing the event. Also, props to Miss604 who collected donations for the Food Bank and arranged for prizes to encourage people to donate to the Food Bank.ร‚ย  She collected a lot of […]

4. Keira-Anne says:

That’s so awesome – congrats on such a successful night ๐Ÿ™‚

@ Rob – hope to see you out soon! ๐Ÿ™‚
    @ Raincoaster – it got sent to moderation – but I rescued this one
    @ Keira-Anne – thanks – and I’m going to send you an IM right now and say that too.

6. Mhairi says:

Thanks for the mention and for organising the fund raiser. I hope you get lots of money for the food bank.

7. Candice says:

*phew* thought i missed out. (sent u an email with my confirmation). COngrats on your success last night!

8. Lynn says:

WOW! I just squeeked in under the wire!! Made my donation at 9:59am!! Just had a look at your blog and saw the deadline was changed. Phew!!

9. Beth says:

548247 – take me with you!!!

10. Woo! Congratulations 548247!

Thanks to everyone who donated and to Rebecca for doing this ๐Ÿ™‚

-k.s.

11. Lynn says:

Dang!! Just missed it by a few! Have fun 548247! I hope the Canucks win!!

12. Candice says:

i dunno know what numbers i had ๐Ÿ™

13. Candice says:

Woohoo! Thanks Rebecca!! Glad i could help out the GVFBS!!

14. Tris Hussey says:

Umm, since I donated, but couldn’t make it and Rebecca has my tickets…I have no idea if I should be happy or not.

Regardless an awesome example of social media for good.

15. Sis604 says:

Good work that was a lot of stuff to lug down to the car today. Cameron is pretty happy to be famous now.

16. Great work Rebeccca! The food bank is always a great cause!

17. […] also very well grounded in the real world. Combining these passions, she helped to organize the Third Tuesday Food Drive and it was a resounding success. In her post, you can see 12 boxes filled with donated food. What […]

18. […] and since then I’ve bumped into her at several community events. She was also a speaker at Third Tuesday where she addressed “Marketing New Media to Traditional Decision Makers: Overcoming the […]

Vancouver-Burrard By-Election Candidate Interview: Spencer Herbert