Through programming, tours, and simply being in a stunning natural location in the heart of the forest, McLean Mill Historic Park in Port Alberni has everything you need for a fun family outing. I spent a whole day at the grounds with ZenSeekers, getting a guided tour and having so much fun taking photos. You can read my full article on the ZenSeekers site but here are some quick, useful takeaways that will inspire you to visit.
4 Things to Check Out at McLean Mill Historic Park
1. The Forest Walk
This National Historic Site is also a beautiful park, with winding paths under a leafy green canopy, and lines of market lights that give it such a calm and dreamy atmosphere.
2. The Sawmill & Camp Life
This is where you’ll find all the history! Take a tour or guide yourself through the dozens of historic buildings, from McLean family lodgings to the bunk house, cook house, and blacksmith shop. The old sawmill has some really fun parts to explore too.
3. The Cafe, gift shop, picnic area, and games!
At the entrance to the park you’ll see the Steam Pot Cafe building, which serves up a scoop of local history inside along with dishes made with locally sourced ingredients. Grab a burger or poutine, and hang out on the picnic tables. You might also find a giant Jenga or board game to sit down and play with the family.
4. Beyond the sawmill
Past the cafe, the forest walk, and even the sawmill, there is the log pond, creek, and logging demo area that also has walking trails. There is also a bunch of colourful old equipment, draped in vines that are perfect for photo ops.
It’s a quick 10 minute drive (20 minute cycle) from town, or you can take the historic steam railway. There are also special events all throughout the year, including a treasure hunt on Father’s Day, Jeepers Creepers on Halloween, and Heritage Christmas.
Find out more by reading my full post on ZenSeekers »
If You Go
- Search #ExplorePortAlberni for more travel inspiration. Be sure to tag #ExplorePortAlberni while checking out the region. You might just be featured on our social media channels!
- Read more about McLean Mill on ZenSeekers.com
- Start planning your adventures in Port Alberni at Alberni Valley Tourism.
- Explore your Port Alberni region options with Destination BC.
- Find out more at the City of Port Alberni’s website.