Bard on the Beach Shakespeare Festival’s 33rd Season returns to Sen̓ákw/Vanier Park, after two years of dark stages in response to the pandemic, and all tickets are now on sale for three plays and special events in this year’s Festival, which runs from June 8 to September 24, 2022.
Bard’s single BMO Mainstage production is A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Shakespeare’s best-loved comedy, filled with laughter, love and magic. On the Howard Family Stage there are two innovative productions: Djanet Sears’ Harlem Duet, a powerful drama with connections to Othello, and Romeo and Juliet, the timeless story of two young people who risk everything for their love.
“It’s thrilling for our Festival to return this summer and we are busy preparing three incredible productions to welcome our patrons back to Sen̓ákw/Vanier Park,” said Christopher Gaze, Bard on the Beach Founding Artistic Director.
“It’s time again for laughter and magic and to that end, A Midsummer Night’s Dream will be our single production on the BMO Mainstage. This joyful production is perfect for all ages and is designed to lift the spirits of everyone who sees it. On the Howard Family Stage, our two productions highlight Bard’s commitment to artistic innovation in theatre; they both feature powerful stories told in a unique way.”
Tickets for the plays are available now starting at $27. Prices for special events, group bookings and multi-play ticket packages can be found online or by calling the Bard Box Office at (604) 739-0559.
Play run dates and special events for 2022 are:
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream June 8 to September 24 – Opening Night June 16
- Harlem Duet June 15 to July 17 – Opening Night June 21
- Romeo and Juliet August 3 to September 24 – Opening Night August 9
- Bard Explored June 25, July 9 & August 13 at 11am – Simon Fraser University’s Paul Budra leads lively explorations of the Season’s three plays.
- VSO at Bard Marvellous Music June 8 – The Vancouver Symphony Orchestra plays favourite classical masterpieces under the direction of VSO Concertmaster Nicholas Wright.
- Bard-B-Q & Fireworks July 23, July 27 & July 30 – All inclusive! See A Midsummer Night’s Dream, then enjoy a delicious barbecue with all the fixings from Emelle’s Catering, plus pre-Fireworks entertainment. End the night with a private view of the spectacular Celebration of Light fireworks.
- Operas & Arias: A Celebration! September 12 & 13 – Talented young stars of the UBC Opera Ensemble return to Sen̓ákw/Vanier Park to perform some of opera’s best-loved repertoire on the BMO Mainstage. Afternoon and evening performances on both dates.
- Forum – Challenging Shakespeare June 28 at 7:30pm – Discover how theatre artists are approaching the opportunities and the pitfalls when they use Shakespeare as a catalyst for new works that speak to our world today.
- Family Days / Relaxed Performances July 17 & August 14 at 2:00pm – Family Day and Relaxed Performances of A Midsummer Night’s Dream offer an open attitude towards audience members moving, making noise, and exiting/entering the auditorium freely. Age restrictions are also relaxed.
- Wine Wednesdays July 6, August 3 & 17 at 6:00pm (pre-show event). Enjoy the scenic view from our Marquee tent while you sip and savour BC wines, presented by industry experts and special guests.
- Accessible Performances: VocalEye – August 20 at 7:30 pm & August 28 at 2:00pm – A Midsummer Night’s Dream on both dates.
Early booking is recommended for best seat selection (all seats are reserved) and because many performances sell out in advance.