On December 4, 2021, MONOVA Museum of North Vancouver will open its doors to the public on a limited “preview” basis in The Shipyards.
MONOVA Museum of North Vancouver Opening
- When: December 4, 2021
- The museum will be open 4 days a week (Thursday to Sunday from 11:00am to 5:00pm) during the winter months
- Where: 115 Esplanade W, North Vancouver
- Admission: Admission will be free on December 4, after that regular admission rates apply.
- COVID-19 safety protocols will be in place.
MONOVA is welcoming visitors to explore its gallery spaces, which include interactive displays, as well as moving tributes to the past, such as the section dedicated to Residential School survivors and their families.
It’s taken more than 50 years, a multitude of meaningful discussions with community members and Indigenous leaders, countless volunteer hours, and painstaking research to amass a collection of more than 9,000 artefacts, but after 20 years of planning finally the Museum of North Vancouver is ready to welcome the public. The new Museum of North Vancouver joins the Archives of North Vancouver in Lynn Valley under the MONOVA banner.
Located in the heart of the vibrant Shipyards District, MONOVA is close to Lonsdale Quay, The Polygon Gallery and SeaBus Terminal. In addition to featuring the restored electric Streetcar 153, the Museum includes a powerful new cedar carving of Sch’ich’iyuy (The Two Sisters) by Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) carver Wade Baker.
Exhibits in the new permanent gallery include:
- An Indigenous Welcome Circle showcasing Sḵwx̱wú7mesh and Səl̓ílwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations stories and belongings
- Touched by Nature, including the Amazing Animals display
- The changing face of outdoor recreation
- Connections: Where cultures collide
- Sports: past and present, including Olympic athletes
- Interactive children’s displays
- Women in Wartime
- History of shipbuilding on the North Shore
- History of North Vancouver’s waterfront
- Innovative industries that took shape in North Vancouver
- The Museum’s Feature Exhibition Gallery will open in early 2022
For information about the opening and more about what will be coming up at MONOVA, follow their Facebook page.