explorASIAN is celebrating Asian Heritage Month and its 25th anniversary this May! The month-long virtual festival will consist of over 50 events hosted by various pan-Asian communities and organizations in Metro Vancouver.
Presented by the Vancouver Asian Heritage Month Society (“VAHMS”), explorASIAN is a time to reflect on and celebrate the contributions Canadians of Asian origin continue to make to the growth and prosperity of Canada.
“VAHMS and explorASIAN Festival continue to evolve to meet the needs of our society. This year, as we did in 2020, we have adapted to the circumstances by producing all our programming virtually and free for all. The Vancouver Asian Heritage Month Opening Ceremony on May 1st, the complete May program of more than 50 events, and the VAHMS Recognition Awards ceremony in June will feature performers, artists and social advocates who, by coming together, model racial harmony, alliance, recognition and respect for all cultures.
This year and in times of increased anti-Asian sentiment, visibility and inclusiveness are more important than ever. This is why VAHMS’ efforts are constantly led by the desire to strengthen cultural identity and emphasize the importance of communicating respectfully. VAHMS stands strong against any discriminatory acts and believes that the solution to ending systemic racism against Asian and other racialized communities must include values of solidarity, tolerance, and inclusive representation.”
– Leticia Sanchez, President, VAHMS
The virtual opening ceremony will take place on Saturday, May 1st at 8:00pm. On the evening, landmarks such as Vancouver City Hall, Science World, the Bloedel Conservatory, and BC Place will be illuminating their exteriors in red to celebrate the occasion. Join the event live on Zoom to celebrate with performances from local Asian-Canadian Artists Vince Mai and Sujit Vaidya.
Here are a few more highlights:
- A First Time For Everything: Writers and their First Books May 1, 2021
- Encounters – Asian Fusion May 4 to 27, 2021 in White Rock/South Surrey
- Exploring Asian Heritage in Vancouver May 6, 2021 online panel discussion
- Exploring Vancouver’s Asian Heritage through Art May 11, 2021 with
- Vancouver Chinatown Walkabout May 16, 2021 over Zoom
- MOVirtual: A Seat at the Table – Artist Tour with Paul Wong May 18, 2021
- Historic Powell Street Walking Tours May 27, 2021 with VJLS
- Recognition Awards Ceremony, explorASIAN 25th Anniversary on Zoom June 10, 2021
You can view the full digital program guide online now, and follow the festival on Facebook for more info and updates.