After the big spends of Black Friday and Cyber Monday, the hope is that you’ll have a little more room in your heart, and on your holiday shopping list, to give back for GivingTuesday today. To help you along, here are 5 of my favourite local causes (of course there are MANY more) in case you’d like to direct your giving their way this season:
5 GivingTuesday Ideas in Vancouver
1) Kids with Special Needs: Variety BC’s Tree of Hearts is back at the studios of Global BC, and your special message of hope will hang as an ornament on the tree when you donate. Every day, one lucky donor’s message will be read live on Global News Hour at 6:00pm. Variety – the Children’s Charity of BC provides direct help to children with funding for medical care and services, mobility and communication equipment and therapies, and education.
2) Art & History: Your donation to the Museum of Vancouver ensures that all of us have access to the city’s rich cultural heritage. Thought-provoking, inspiring and intriguing school and adult programs and award-winning exhibitions are delivered annually to over 70,000 visitors, showcasing extraordinary pieces and sharing the stories from Vancouver’s history.
3) Nature: Your year end, tax deductible donation will help Stanley Park Ecology Society conserve Stanley Park’s ecological health and inspire Park visitors with expert environmental education programs. Donate to support everything from wildlife monitoring programs and school programs, to the removal and management of invasive plants.
4) Education: You can help the Surrey Library expand its amazing collections and bring new programs to the community. The library raises funds to provide access to local and global information and ideas, and offer free community programming that encourages literacy and supports lifelong learning for all Surrey residents.
5) Youth Homelessness: Donate to Covenant House Vancouver today and your gift will be matched for three times the impact. As it gets colder and winter approaches, more and more youth will be seeking our help. With your support, they will be here to provide safe housing, warm clothing, counseling and important life skills. You can make a life-changing, charitable and tax-deductible donation today.
To find more causes to support, visit the GivingTuesday Canada website and do an organization search.