Vancouver Opera presents The Merry Widow (Die Lustige Witwe), a wonderfully lavish Art Nouveau-inspired production that opens their 2018-2019 season.
Indulge in the Viennese torte known as Franz Lehár’s comedic operetta The Merry Widow, set in the heart of vibrant fin de siècle Paris. Wealthy widow Hanna Glawari schemes to win the heart of dashingly handsome Count Danilo. A scandalous caper ensues while suitors conspire to obtain the widow’s fortune.
Vancouver Opera Presents The Merry Widow
- Where: Queen Elizabeth Theatre (630 Hamilton St, Vancouver)
- When: October 20, 25, 27 at 7:30pm & October 28 at 2:00pm
- Tickets: $50 to $175, available at the Vancouver Opera Ticket Centre, by telephone (604) 683-0222, or online. See complete ticket information below. Season subscriptions are still on sale and single tickets are available for the whole season now.
This delightful production is directed by Canadian Kelly Robinson (last at Vancouver Opera as director of the hit production of Evita). The story unfolds on a stage packed with elegant ladies, eligible bachelors, and Maxim’s famous can-can dancers. Italian-Canadian soprano Lucia Cesaroni will be making her role debut as the wealthy widow, Hanna Glawari, who schemes to win the heart of dashingly handsome Count Danilo, interpreted here by tenor John Cudia and seen recently at VO as Cassio in Verdi’s Otello. Susan Memmott-Allred’s costumes and Michael Yeargan’s sets evoke the Belle Epoque period with winning style.
I have a pair of tickets to give away for the Sunday, October 28th matinee at 2:00pm. Here’s how you can enter to win:
- Leave a comment on this post (1 entry)
- Like, comment on, or share this post on Facebook (1 entry)
- Click below to get another entry by posting on Twitter:
I will draw one winner at random from all entries at 12:00pm on Thursday, October 11, 2018. While The Merry Widow is sung in German, the dialogue will be in English. English SURTITLES™ will be projected above the stage.
Update The winner is Catherine Hercus!