I was sitting across from my mother at the Knight & Day on Boundary Road, ready to enjoy second breakfast in the early afternoon. When it came time to order she triumphantly flipped her menu over, in one bold gesture to proudly announce that she was going to order from the seniors’ menu.
“You’re a senior?” our server said incredulously, a smile followed. “I might have to see some ID.” My mom’s eyes lit up like a recent 19 year old getting carded at the Cold Beer & Wine. She would have proudly shown her identification, having turned 65 last May, but after an exchange of blushes and giggles, and proclaiming that she’s indeed old enough to have a child as old as I am, her order was placed.
My mother is a very proud senior and she’s been enjoying her retirement by traveling, spending time on her hobbies, and going for coffee chats with friends. One thing she’s also enjoying are seniors’ discounts so I decided to compile a list for her, that I’m happy to share here as well.
Discounts for Seniors in BC
- On the last Thursday of every month, Shoppers Drug Mart offers 20% off for customers 65 and older, if you have an Optimum card.
- The Bay offers 15% savings to people 60+ on the first Tuesday of every month.
- Salvation Army Thrift Stores offer a 10% savings every day to everyone 60+.
- Most Banana Republic stores offer a discount to people 50+. The discount varies by location, so you need to ask at the store.
- Laura Secord offers a 15% senior’s discount on the first Monday of every month.
- Some Home Hardware stores offer discounts.
- Ming Wo Cookware for seniors 60+, get 20% off on the first Monday of the month, regular priced items only.
- At Shared Treasures Thrift Store seniors 55 and over receive 50% off clothing & housewares every Monday. Located at 2404 St. John’s St, Port Moody.
Travel & Transportation
- Via Rail offers 10% off to anyone 60+.
- All public transportation system in British Columbia offer a discount to seniors 65+.
- ICBC: You may qualify for a 25% saving on Basic Autoplan if both the vehicle owner and principal operator are 65+, and don’t use the vehicle for commuting, business or delivery. 5-year license renewal for seniors 65+ is just $17.
- Parks Canada Discovery Pass discount for 65+.
- BC Seniors age 65 or greater travel free on BC Ferries Monday through Thursday except holidays noted below on presentation of a BC Services Card, a BC Driver’s License, a BC Identification Card, or a Birth Certificate. If you are presenting a Birth Certificate, proof of residency in BC is required. The BC Seniors discount applies only to the passenger fare. The free fare is not applicable on the Inside Passage, Haida Gwaii and Discovery Coast Connector routes. However, a special discount on B.C. Senior passenger fares on these routes is available.
BC SENIORS DISCOUNT NOT AVAILABLE ON:
Mondays May 21, 2018, August 6, 2018, September 3, 2018, October 8, 2018, February 18, 2019
Tuesdays December 25, 2018, January 1, 2019
Sunday July 1, 2018
- Discounted fare on the Vancouver Aquabus.
- Scotiabank offers seniors a free basic account, and other discounts.
- TD offers a rebate of up to 25% on monthly chequing fees for people 60+.
- RBC offers rebates to people 65+.
- CIBC has a 60 Plus Advantage program.
- BMO offers discounts to people 60+.
Arts & Entertainment
- All Cineplex theatres offer seniors discounts usually of 20% or more. Inquire at time of ticket purchase online or in person.
- The Vancouver Art Gallery offers admission by donation for all seniors (65+) on the 1st Monday of every month, from 10:00am to 1:00pm.
- The Museum of Vancouver (MOV) has $5 admission for seniors (65+) on the first Tuesday of each month. Take a stroll through the Vancouver History galleries or check out the featured exhibitions. For January 2019 they are adding 3 additional senior days in January:Tuesday, January 15, 22nd and 29th.
- The UBC Museum of Anthropology offers a 10% discount to seniors 65+.
*Offers may vary depending on the location. The list from CARP was published in 2016. The 411 Seniors Centre Society list was published in 2014.
Of course many great local attractions and events have rates for seniors as well. If you know of a great discount that’s available in BC, please feel free to leave a comment and I’ll add it to the list.