National Cupcake Day is cross-country event presented by the BC SPCA, the Ontario SPCA and participating humane societies. This year, Cupcake Day falls on Monday, February 26th (the last Monday of February), but animal lovers and bakers are encouraged to fundraise throughout January and February.
“When it comes to baking, cupcakes are pretty foolproof. Trust me, if I can make them, anyone can,” says National Cupcake Day spokesperson and TV host Kristina Matisic. “Over the past few years we’ve seen kids, small businesses and large companies get involved. I love the cute creations that people come up with and seeing all the donations come in.”
Participants who register before Wednesday, January 31st and raise $50 will be entered in a draw to win a KitchenAid Stand mixer, the perfect tool for whipping up delicious cupcakes and frosting.
The BC SPCA will use the funds to find homes for surrendered, rescued, neglected or abused animals, and provide emergency care to injured animals.
How You Can Get Involved
- Register for free via the National Cupcake Day website
- Everyone who registers and makes a self-donation of $25 or more will be sent a host kit including a fundraising guide, cupcake selfie frame, mini tote bag and more. The host kit materials are also available for download on the website.
- Customize your Personal Fundraising Centre online and ask your friends, family and colleagues to support your fundraising efforts.
- Send your friends and family an email through your participant centre, encouraging them to show their support by donating online.
- Plan your National Cupcake Day Party for home, work, school or wherever you think people would love to eat cupcakes.
- Hold your National Cupcake Day Party on Monday, February 27th or any day in January or February that works for you.
- Bake, decorate and eat!
Last year, Canadians raised more than $600,000 through their baking and fundraising efforts. Since the campaign’s inception in 2013, $2.45 million has been raised, with proceeds going to participating SPCAs and humane societies across the country.
Visit the National Cupcake Day website to register, bake and donate. In BC, you can choose to support the BC SPCA, Langley Animal Protection Society, and Victoria Humane Society. Follow National Cupcake Day on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.