Canada’s Royal Winnipeg Ballet presents a poignant tale of hope and understanding in Vancouver with the premiere of Going Home Star. This heartrending ballet pays tribute to the experiences of residential school survivors and opens up an important dialogue about truth and reconciliation.
Going Home Star – Truth and Reconciliation
- Where: Queen Elizabeth Theatre (600 Block Hamilton St, Vancouver)
- When: April 7th to April 9th, 2016. Show at 8:00pm. Pre-show Chats will take place prior to each performance from 7:00pm to 7:30pm, in the east wing of the Queen Elizabeth Theatre lobby.
- Tickets: Available online via Ticketmaster for $29 to $89 (plus fees) or by phone 1-855-985-ARTS (2787).
Commissioned by Artistic Director André Lewis, Going Home Star – Truth and Reconciliation explores the world of Annie, a young, urban First Nations woman adrift in a contemporary life of youthful excess.
But when she meets Gordon, a longhaired trickster disguised as a homeless man, she’s propelled into a world she’s always sensed but never seen. Not only do they travel the streets of this place but also the roads of their ancestors, learning to accept the other’s burdens as the two walk through the past and toward the future. Together, both Annie and Gordon learn that without truth, there is no reconciliation.
“Going Home Star is without question one of the most important productions in the RWB’s 75 year history. We feel immensely honoured to have been entrusted with this story – and to use the ethereal beauty of ballet to further an imperative dialogue around truth and reconciliation,” says André Lewis, RWB Artistic Director. “Born from a collaboration between some of Canada’s finest creative minds, it is a gorgeously raw, exquisitely honest work whose artistry and message will resonate in the hearts of all Canadians.”
Receiving widespread acclaim, Going Home Star is a powerful production that bravely faces the pains and atrocities of Canada’s past, while giving hope for healing and wholeness in our future.
Win Tickets to Royal Winnipeg Ballet’s Going Home Star
I have a prize pack available for this show thanks to the Royal Winnipeg Ballet that includes:
- 2 VIP Tickets to see Going Home Star at The Queen Elizabeth Theatre, April 7th ($228+ Value)
- A Pair of Exquisite Pointe Shoes signed by RWB’s Principal Dancer Sophia Lee
- A CD (2 Compact Discs) soundtrack of music for Going Home Star by composer Christos Hatzis, featuring Tanya Tagaq, Steve Wood & The Northern Cree Singers, as well as Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra.
Here’s how you can enter to win:
- Leave a comment on this post (1 entry)
- Post the following on Twitter (1 entry)
I will draw one winner at random from all entries at 12:00pm on Monday, March 28, 2016. Follow Royal Winnipeg Ballet on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook to learn more about this touring production and more.
Update The winner is Laura!