With the arrival of the PNE this summer, Vancity will once again be hosting its Vancity Member Day. On Wednesday, August 27th, members of Vancity and a guest can explore The Fair at the PNE for $5 each – that’s an $11 savings on adult admission! Simply bring your Vancity Member Card debit card or Vancity enviro Visa (or other form of membership verification) to take advantage of this one-day offer anytime between 11:00am and 11:00pm.
Vancity Member Day at The PNE 2014
Once you’re in, you can enjoy all that The Fair at the PNE has to offer this year such as its great concert lineup, the PNE Prize Home Lottery Tour, Superdogs, Kidz Discovery Farm, and the 4th Annual Vancouver Rib Festival Competition. Additional attractions this year include Game of Thrones®: The Exhibition, Get Animated! Interactive Animation Exhibit, Mosaic Music Series, Just For Cats: Internet Cat Video Festival, YVR Fly Dome: A 360° Global Travel Experience, and much more.
Be sure to stop by the cow-powered Vancity Eco Zone to find out how Vancity is supporting the PNE on their journey to going green, and how they’ll try to make Vancity Member Day a zero waste day.
Here are a few tips that combine going green with The Fair at the PNE:
- Ride your bike to the PNE. During The Fair, there will be a complimentary Vancity-supported bicycle valet service. The bike valet stations are set up inside Gate 1. Valet your bike during The Fair to be entered to win a prize pack from Vancity community partner, PEDAL.
- Bring your water bottles on Vancity Member Day. On Vancity Member Day, August 27, a drinking-water station to refill re-usable water bottles will be provided by Metro Vancouver.
- Dispose your waste responsibly. 75 new recycling stations have been installed to collect three streams of waste: garbage, recyclables and compostables. Please follow the signage at these stations to help the PNE divert waste from our landfills. The PNE will have staffed waste sorting stations by Green Chair Recycling.
Last year, the PNE installed a new policy to ban styrofoam and plastic cutlery to encourage vendors to use biodegradable food packaging. Vendors are also not permitted to have ‘show’ lights until dusk so the PNE will decrease their energy consumption, and the PNE also got a Light Bulb Eater. This gadget breaks down the bulbs; reducing labour, storage space and recycling costs.
Enter to Win a Prize Pack
To promote all of the eco-goodness at The PNE this year and especially Vancity Member Day, Vancity has put together a super green prize pack for me to give away to one lucky reader. This includes:
- 2 x PNE Gate passes
- 2 x PNE Playland passes
- 2 x Vancity reusable glass bottles
- 4 x Vancity reusable produce bags with drawstring
- 1 x Vancity reusable lunch tote
- 1 on 1 coaching with Victory Gardens
Here’s how you can enter to win this prize pack:
- Leave a comment here with a green tip for fair goers this summer (1 entry)
- and/or Post the following on Twitter (1 entry)
I will draw one winner at random from all entries at 12:00pm on Wednesday, August 20, 2014. Follow Vancity on Twitter and Facebook for more information about the Vancity Eco Zone and Vancity Member Day.
Update The winner is Taruna!