The 3rd annual Underground Comedy Railroad tour is coming to the Rio Theatre as a part of Black History Month. Introducing the voice of black Canadians, the tour is scheduled to stop is 10 cities across the country, arriving in Vancouver on February 22nd at 8:30pm.
The history of the Underground Railroad is not something to make light of. That network of safe houses and secret routes brought slaves to Canada, and freedom, in the 19th Underground Comedy Railroad tour will introduce the voice of black Canadians to fellow citizens and give centre stage to one of the country’s visible minorities.
The Underground Comedy Railroad tour showcases some of Canada’s accomplished comedians who offer a remarkable perspective that is uniquely Canadian. The line-up includes the following black Canadian stand-up comics:
- Rodney Ramsey (Montreal) – a Just for Laughs veteran who has appeared on CBC Radio’s “The Debaters” and CBC TV’s “This Hour Has 22 Minutes”. He is the creator of the Underground Comedy Railroad tour and co-creator of a new hit web series called “The Flipside”.
- Gilson Lubin (Toronto) – has made appearances on HBO’s Def Comedy Jam, Comedy Central’s “Premium Blend”, Comedy Now, and MTV Canada. He has also opened for some of his favourite comedians, including Dave Chappelle.
- Andrew Searles (Montreal) – named “Top 10 Best Stand-up Comedians in Montreal” for four consecutive years and has been featured on SiriusXM Radio, CTV, and CBC TV. He is also the co-creator of the Underground Comedy Railroad tour.
- Kwasi Thomas (Vancouver) – a crowd pleaser across the country from Montreal’s ComedyWorks to Ottawa’s Yuk Yuk’s to Vancouver’s own Comedy Mix, Kwasi Thomas has spent a healthy portion of his life on stage. He has participated in both the Just for Laughs Homegrown Comedy Competition and Best of the Fest Showcase. In addition to stand-up, he is a member of the Dead Comics Society sketch troupe and has produced a series of successful comedy events in Montreal – “The Drunken Show”, “The Drunken Show II: Menace 2 Sobriety”, and “Return of the Drunken Masters”.
Tickets are currently available online for $25. I also have a pair to give away, here’s how you can enter to win:
- Leave a comment on this post (1 entry)
- Post the following on Twitter (1 entry)
Update The winner is Kevin!