IKEA in Richmond, which was one of the first IKEAs in Canada, will be moving across the parking lot to a new 334,000 square foot store this April. The new building will have a 600-seat restaurant, over 1,4000 parking spaces, and 100 bicycle racks.
Features of the new store
- Geothermal installation to heat and cool the building
- An edible rooftop garden for co-workers
- Water storage and infiltration systems that will reduce the storm water flows and volume
- The iconic IKEA navigation tower will also include rain water storage capabilities and solar panels that will be used to generate electricity to light the parking lot
- A separate solar thermal installation on the roof will be used to generate warm water for the restaurant
Everyone is invited to the Grand Opening ceremony on April 25, 2012 starting at 7:00am. The event will feature family entertainment and giveaways. You can find the new store, right near the old one which is closing April 22nd, on Jacombs Road in Richmond.
To celebrate the grand re-opening of IKEA Richmond, I have two $100 gift cards to give away. Here’s how you can enter to win:
- Leave a comment naming your favourite IKEA product (1 entry)
- Post the following on Twitter (1 entry)
I will draw two winners at random from all entries next Monday, April 9, 2012 at 12:00pm. This contest is only open to BC residents. Must be 19 years of age or older to enter and win.
Update The winners are Curtis and @paperprincess_!