The City of Burnaby and Intracorp are working together to rejuvenate Beresford Street, located across from Metrotown and directly South of the SkyTrain line. The first phase was the MetroPlace development and the second is Silver, a 38-storey tower. The City’s plan is to make Beresford the next “Great Street”.
A Great Street, as outlined by the Project for Public Spaces includes:
- Attractions & Destinations
- Identity & Image
- Seasonal Strategies
- Diverse User Groups
- Traffic, Transit & the Pedestrian
- Amenities, Management
- Protects Neighbourhoods
- Active Edge Uses (human-scaled to allow for interaction between indoors and out)
- Blending of Uses and Modes (ground floor uses and retail activities should spill out into the sidewalks and streets to blur the distinction between public and private space)
With the current plan, Silver’s community on Beresford gets a Walk Score of 97. They would love to know what you would like to see on Beresford as well. Public spaces, gardens, community events, retail, cafes, and more. To get the creative juices flowing for neighbourhood ideas, they have offered up a $250 Metropolis at Metrotown gift card for one Miss604.com reader. Here’s how you can enter to win:
- Leave a comment naming what you would love to see on a “Great Street” (1 entry)
- Post the following on Twitter (1 entry)
I will draw one winner at random from all entries next Tuesday, March 27, 2012 at 12:00pm.
Update The winner is Manuel!