It was on March 10th 1870 the settlement know locally as Gastown was given its official name: Granville Townsite. Lord Granville was the Colonial Secretary at the time and the Granville Townsite was selected as the terminus for the Canadian Pacific Railway. It wasn’t until 1886 that the townsite was renamed, when it incorporated, as the City of Vancouver.
1886 – Foot of Granville. Archives item# Dist P166. Photographer: Harry T. Devine.
1886 – Real estate office at Georgia & Granville. Archives item# LGN 453. Photographer: Harry T. Devine.
1886 – View of Granville Townsite, looking West from Main at Cordova. Archives item# Dist P8.3.
1889 – Looking North on Granville from Georgia. Archives item# Van Sc P102.1.
1890 – Looking North East on Granville from Georgia. Archives item# Str P153.1.
1891 – Fairview, looking West (where Burrard & Granville bridges would be today). Archives item# VLP 57.1.
1895 – North Arm Road, Granville Street at 37th. Archives item# Str P16.
1899 – C.P.R. station foot of Granville (Waterfront today). Archives item# Can P117.1.
1899- Looking South on Granville from the C.P.R. station. Archives item# Str P376.
References and research for this post is made possible by Chuck Davis’ work on VancouverHistory.ca and the City of Vancouver Archives.