BC Place Open House

Comments 6 by Rebecca Bollwitt

Over the last year the city’s been watching as our iconic stadium, BC Place, has been getting a makeover. With marshmallow top deflated and a new retractable cloth roof being installed, it will change the way we watch live sport in Vancouver. Your chance to check out the renovated stadium will come July 31st as they host a free public open house of BC Place.

When Sunday, July 31, 2011 from 12:00pm to 3:00pm
Where Enter through the West Entrance (adjacent to Expo Blvd near Smithe)

In an online poll I conducted in January of this year, 55% of my readers said they were excited about the new look (while the other 45% weren’t). Visitors will be able to walk onto a section of the floor at BC Place as workers continue to install the retractable roof, seats, and other interior upgrades.

down to 20 feet above the floor level I hear
May 2010. Photo credit: Bev Davies on Flickr

Stadium Roof construction webcam - July 6, 2011
July 2011. ©BC Place, PavCo on Flickr

“People see a lot of the exterior changes as they pass by BC Place, but there’s just as many changes inside,” said David Podmore, Chair of PavCo. “In fact, BC Place looks and feels like a new building. So, we’re inviting the community to bring their cameras and take a look inside as we continue our work and head towards our first event, the BC Lions home game on September 30.”

BC Place will also host the 2011 Grey Cup Festival and championship game in November.

Update Here’s a video in case you missed the open house:

6 Comments  —  Comments Are Closed

  1. DrewMonday, July 25th, 2011 — 12:01pm PDT

    Could they not have had the open house a week later and not right in the middle of the pride parade?

  2. philMonday, July 25th, 2011 — 12:53pm PDT

    or how about not on sunday of a long weekend? sounds like PR spin, because the bloody thing looks atrocious. #designFLAW

  3. SherylWednesday, July 27th, 2011 — 7:01pm PDT

    I’ll be taking my Dad there this Sunday. He was an ironworker for most of his life, and worked on the original BC Place roof. He was standing on top when it was first raised. He’s disabled now, due to a fall from a scaffolding, and is losing his memory, but he is still quite proud of his work on the dome. I’m so proud of him too. He’s excited to be on site again.

  4. Steph :)Wednesday, July 27th, 2011 — 10:53pm PDT

    Thanks for letting us know!!!

  5. DannyThursday, July 28th, 2011 — 12:28am PDT

    People do not judge the new bc place until it is completly done, any constuction site does not look good until it is finished.

    the new bc plac is going to be a state of the art stadium the best in canada and in the top 10 in north america.

  6. Lelainia N. LloydThursday, July 28th, 2011 — 2:14pm PDT

    I’d like the chance to take a sneak peek! It looks like a giant spider web right now and I bet it’s impressive from inside. I haven’t been in there since the 2010 Games, (it was my venue) so it would be cool to see the work in progress.

Also on Miss604.com