Vancouver vs Nashville – A Blogger Battle

Thursday, April 28th, 2011 — 12:45pm PST

The Vancouver Canucks start their second round of the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs tonight against Nashville and after a heated battle with Chicago, the team and the fans are certainly fired up.

After a few suggestions on Twitter that I find a blogging counterpart in Nashville, I contacted Nashville Scene – a source for all things Nashville with news, reviews, food, and of course, music. A few quick emails later and we have a blogger battle.

Nashville Scene

Nashville Scene – Nashville Declares War on Vancouver, Sort of:
“This politely worded Canadian aggression will not stand. Yes, Miss 604, we accept your “friendly challenge.” The terms, agreed upon by our dueling partner in the godforsaken frozen North — OK, the lushly green, conifer-scented, beautifully landscaped North — are as follows: The blog from the winning team’s city will receive a hotly coveted, generously apportioned, lavishly assembled (yet small enough to sneak through Customs) package of goods from the losing city’s hometown.”

The Mayors of Vancouver and Nashville have a similar challenge, that was announced today as well: “If Vancouver wins best out of seven games, Mayor Dean will help Vancouver celebrate by sending a country ham and CDs representing the broad spectrum of Nashville’s music scene to Mayor Robertson. If Nashville wins, Mayor Robertson has promised to send a Fraser River Sockeye Salmon along with a CD of Vancouver’s musicians.”

Nashville Scene and I will be putting together prize packages featuring the best out cities have to offer (and whatever can fit in a shipping box). The winner will keep their prize pack and be shipped the prize put together by the losing city. So technically when the Canucks defeat the Predators I will be receiving a prize package from Nashville that I will be happily sharing with you all. It’s pretty much a win-win situation, except for when it comes to the action on the ice. So, before the puck drops tonight at Rogers Arena, I would like to call upon my readers for suggestions.

What should I include in a super Vancouver prize package? Some Raincoast Crisps? Mink Chocolates? Smoked Salmon? An autographed 8×10 glossy of Fin? A “Bike Lanes Make Me Hornby” t-shirt?

[092/365] Game On
Photo credit: JeremyLim.ca on Flickr

Best case scenario, the package never leaves my office. But, just in case, please leave your suggestions below or Tweet them to @Miss604 & @NashvilleScene using the tag #nashclash (per the @VanCanucks account).

Update Confirmed prize package items so far include:

• Travel mugs from Whistler Blackcomb
  • Two lift tickets from Whistler Blackcomb
  • The Vancouver Book of Everything from Tourism Vancouver
  • A Vancouver t-shirt from Sharks & Hammers and Welcome to East Van
  • Raincoast Crisps from Lesley Stowe
  • A Vancouver t-shirt from 9 o’clock gun
  • A Canucks playoff towel & shirt from the Canucks
  • A box of Granny Smith apples from Bella Gelateria
  • Update May 9, 2011: The Canucks have defeated Nashville so I’m going to roll over the Vancouver prize pack to the next series. In the event that I do not need to send the package to the opposing team’s city, it will all be donated to KidSport.

• Enter here to win tickets to A Charlie Brown Holiday Double Bill (until Nov 19)
    • Enter here to win a $100 gift card for Potters Christmas Store (until Nov 23)
    • Enter here to win a Date Night to Akram Khan’s Chotto Desh plus $50 for dinner at Silk Vancouver (until Nov 18)
    • Enter here to win tickets to see Ed the Sock's War on Stupid tour (until Nov 22)
    • View a complete list of contests »

1. Marina says:

Great idea! I say some locally made chocolates should definitely be on the list. 🙂

2. ming says:

As for food, it needs to be able to travel well, so smoke salmon is a good choice.

Some lululemon athletica wear.

music CD from Nickelback. Maybe some from Bif Naked.

Hows that for starters?

3. Henry Lee says:

Rebecca,

I was thinking about Douglas Coupland’s “City of Glass” book about Vancouver, and about how I’ve given this book to people who’ve never visited Vancouver before.

4. John says:

Not being a Vancouverite myself, I may not know some of the more eclectic Vancouver must-haves. But I say this, I never leave the city without a handful or four of some of the fantastic microbrews available in the coast city. I’d have to think any of BC’s wines would greatly surpass the quality of even the finest of Tennessee’s moonshines (if not their effectiveness).

From Calgary…Go ‘Nucks!

5. Fiona says:

Check out http://www.nineoclockgun.com – their t-shirts are all about Vancouver. Really cool.

6. Cariann says:

These “Enjoy the Sedin’ery” shirts are pretty sweet! http://www.cargoh.com/store/s-m-t-shirts

7. Teresa says:

I’d see if Got Craft would donate one of their swag bags. And I’d go for some indie music picks, things that Nashville residents might not know (yet).

8. marisa. p says:

A mixed tape, dayglo abortions, doa, skinny puppy…and fluevog shoes!

9. Ruth says:

Canadian-made sake from Osake on Granville Island! (Bit hard to ship – maybe one of their gift mini versions?)

10. We support ya Miss604 all the way – add us to the team. As we make everything from scratch and our first choice is BC grown….we love our BC Granny Smith apple sorbetto….so we will donate to the cause 1 case of BC Granny Smith apples. If they come to Vancouver, we will treat them to gelato for 10 people at our shop.

11. Johnette Canuck says:

Don’t give it a second thought –
      it’s never going to happen…!

12. CF says:

The crisps and smoked salmon sound good. Maybe some cream cheese from the farmer’s market and a copy of the Zolas to top it off?

And send it in a reusable container, of course. 😉

13. doug gillespie says:

#nshclash: season tickets to the Canucks and Immigration application to Canada! Lol

14. DougyGfromBC says:

Season tix to Canucks and Immigration Application into Canada! #nashclash

15. au says:

playoff or seasons tickets or perhaps, give us new Sedin & Luongo jersies! lol

16. JJ Bean Coffee Beans or maybe just a gift card for JJ Bean:)

17. Mae says:

What a great suggestion and idea! Fun too!

How about some pretty postcards of Vancouver? Or you could tap into your flickr pool for photos.

18. Linda says:

maple syrup, candied salmon, bc wine, ice wine, a touque, butter tart, nanaimo bars, hockey puck with made in canada inscribed on it, an inukshuk.

19. mr. pink says:

Man, every online battle between sports rivals should be so civilized! If you’re ever in Nashville, we will have to continue this scorched-earth flame war on our front porch, with big glasses of iced tea.

Thank God you’re not Detroit. But you probably do that already.

20. Rebecca Bollwitt says:

@ mr. pink I think our series with Chicago was a little less civilized. There were even cardboard cutouts of Vince Vaughn at Rogers Arena.

21. Sharon Twiss says:

At Save-On / Urban Fare, I saw a lovely tin of Roger’s Chocolates celebrating Vancouver’s 125th ($20). Maybe Roger’s Chocolates would donate one? Or maybe even Save-On (to make up for their putting US produce in the bins and not changing the BC-grown signs).

22. Sherry says:

Lots of great ideas so far but how about adding some Bremner’s Blueberry juice and for a touch of west coast chic, silver salad servers in a salish pattern.

23. Jen says:

DEFINITELY Mink Chocolates. You know how I feel about those 🙂

24. Jake says:

I lived in Vancouver for 2 years going to UBC. I miss the salmon jerkey more than anything other than the entire city of Vancouver! We have a lululemon here in Nashville now, so don’t send that. This is a great round, for whoever wins, I get to root for a team in the next round! OMG, and send Nanaimo bars. Nashville has a HUGE sweet tooth. Make Nashville send a Tennessee Tipsy Cake and t-shirts from all the honkey tonks downtown!

25. Ryan says:

Definitely candied spicy salmon from the vendor at Granville Public Market. Some post cards of downtown from the Cambie/Granville bridges with the skyline at sunset. BC Ferries clam chowder? That should travel across North America as well as it down across the Strait of Georgia. Olympic mittens. Gold medal hockey souvenirs.

26. Taigi says:

How about a signed poster of the Canucks! LOL
      A Wall mural of the cityscape
      Replica Mini Totem pole
      Teas from local vendors like Murchies?

27. Giggles says:

Purdy’s chocolates for sure!! A totem pole of some sort!

28. Michael Kwan says:

Raincoast Crips? I thought their beef was done with the Raincoast Bloods after Tookie got them together? 😉

29. Rebecca Bollwitt says:

@Michael Ha! Thanks for noticing that 😉

30. Michael Kwan says:

@Rebecca: To be fair, credit goes to my fiance for spotting the error. The joke is all me though. 🙂 That said, I think Raincoast Crips would make for an interesting customs declaration.

Red Cross Red Carpet Soiree 2011