Vancouver2010 Uses Doves Song in Commercial

Thursday, May 21st, 2009 — 12:28pm PST

A while back John told me he heard the song “Pounding” by Doves (who are playing tonight at the Commodore) in the background of a Vancouver 2010 commercial. I tracked down the video that’s posted on their site and he was right.

I love the song although I find it a little odd that Vancouver 2010 is using a UK band in their advertising (and not local talent). I’d love to hear my readers’ thoughts on this.

1. Jen says:

It is very disappointing to hear they did not use local talent, it would be interesting to hear their reasoning behind it. We have so many wonderful artists here in Vancouver and across Canada, there is really no reason not to showcase local talent ๐Ÿ™

2. Kimm says:

I don’t mind that group, but I’m surprised that they did not use any Canadian or local talent.

3. Tristen says:

It’s probably a good thing or we’d have to endure the torturing sounds of Nickelback.

@Tristen you certainly have a point there

5. Don’t get me wrong, I love Doves and the music completely makes the commercial a little more heartfelt and effective, but the fact remains that it is such a pro Vancouver, Canada, Vancouver 2010, holy crap the Olympic games are coming to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada commercial that it doesn’t make a lot of sense, from a marketing standpoint, to use something by an artist that isn’t from this country. I’m not sure this is a bad thing, but this has always struck me odd from the first time I saw this commercial on the jumbotron at GM Place last fall.

6. Yes, but they may also invite the Queen of England to come from London to officially open Canada’s Games…and not Governor General Michaelle Jean, who resides at Rideau Hall in Ottawa!

7. Jenny says:

Canadian artists have contributed to Olympics in other countries, it’s not that odd. The song is pretty boring though.

8. paul says:

i really like the doves as well, but there’s enough bands (that aren’t nickelback or avril) in canada that could have contributed. i bet they didn’t even use a canadian agency to make the ads, which could be the pointer to why a canadian band wasn’t used.

that said, if that’s the best fitting song, they aren’t obligated to use 100% canadian content for everything VANOC does, it just would have been nice.

It's One Cool World