Local Mountain Season Openings 2008

Friday, December 12th, 2008 — 8:07pm PST

Cypress, Grouse, and Seymour are the beloved local mountains of our region that provide us with a natural playground, hiking trails, drinking water, and in the winter time a source of much joy and fun as we play and carve through their snowy wonderlands.

Blocking the view

Opening dates for the locals had been moved back due to mild conditions and plenty of rain although thanks to a frosty spell over the last week or so the chair lifts will be ready to roll sooner than most actually expected.

Out East

• Grouse Mountain: Opening day, Saturday December 13, 2008 [Read their Blog or follow them on Twitter for instant updates and conditions]
  • Cypress Mountain: Opening day, Saturday December 13, 2008 [Limited opening – Beginner runs only]
  • Mount Seymour: Opening day, Saturday December 13, 2008 [Limited opening – Beginner runs only, 40% off some rates]
  • We live down there

I plan on getting up Grouse to experience their outdoor skating rink and I’ll be getting my lovely laminated season pass for Seymour very soon. I encourage everyone to get outdoors and enjoy these fun resources that are all within a short distance from home, whether it’s snowshoeing, skating, skiiing, boarding, or tubing.

• Enter here to win a $100 gift card for Potters Christmas Store (until Nov 23)
    • Enter here to win tickets to see East Van Panto: Wizard of Oz (until Nov 27)
    • Enter here to win a $100 Fresh Prep gift card (until Nov 23)
    • Enter here to win a Canyon Lights at Capilano Suspension Bridge Park prize pack (until Nov 26)
    • Enter here to win tickets to see Ed the Sock's War on Stupid tour (until Nov 22)
    • View a complete list of contests »

1. Rocky says:

Snow is finally here!! I’ll be up at Grouse first thing Saturday morning to try out their new chair lift !

2. Pictures look pretty nice. I’m curious what kind of camera you used?

Never the less, you’re a pretty good photographer if that means anything from me ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Jenny says:

A lot of snow has fallen in the last 24 hours but there won’t be many runs, if any open on Grouse this morning or the others for that matter unless you like rope tows

4. Tyler says:

Don’t forget Cross Country Skiing! lol yea i don’t do that.

Robyn and I are excited to be hitting Cypress this season with our pass! We also hitting Whistler/Blackcomb next weekend for 2 nights!! We want to try Grouse out as well. Should be good snow times!

5. Taris J says:

Nice pics – we need some action shots of you ripping it down the hill – perhaps a video camera stuck to your helmet?? You could make your own snowboarding video series hehehe

@ Taris, I’d love to, really. The last few times I went up I took my iPhone and was too scared to remove it from my pocket and its ziploc protection hehe.

7. Taris J says:

@ Miss604 aka Rebecca – not sure which one you prefer lol – you’ve gotta look into getting this camera that I have – the olympus 1030 SW – its shock proof, waterproof (to 10 meters), freeze proof, crush proof, and drop proof (Probably covered under shock proof, but I can vouch for the fact that it will stand up to punishment lol)

It’s got full video capabilities, and just the best damn point and shoot camera I’ve ever come across!!!

I’ve taken loads of underwater photos, and it just stood up to a -10 degree trip through the wilderness when we went Christmas tree chopping on a tree farm!!

I can’t say enough good things about this – oh and its 10.something megapixels too – BAD ASS CAMERA I gotta say

I really think you’d like it considering your seemingly active/adveturous lifestyle – I know it fits into mine just fine ๐Ÿ™‚

Waxy Photography For Charity