There’s a cryptic video on the Canucks website right now that asks several (rhetorical) questions and leads us all to believe the organisation is cooking something up for this Saturday’s game versus the Oilers.
Who else suffered rejection for an NHL franchise, but never quit?
Who else turned a symbol of surrender into a passionate tradition copied all across sports?
Who else survived the insults of the Flying â€œVâ€, the Plate of Spaghetti and the Skate going down?
October 25th, 2008 General Motors Place
Mike (Yankee Canuck) posted the questions asked in the video and what he thinks are possible answers:
1. It’s a variation of the movie Se7en customized for the Canucks, including a whole new crop of seven deadly sins: Jarome Iginla, Joe Sakic, Rob Niedermayer, Mark Messier, Dan Cloutier, the entire San Jose Shark roster throughout history and Pamela Anderson deep tonguing Fin.
2. The Oilers will figure out a way to throw out seven more bloggers from their section of the press box.
3. On a day where all 30 teams play, they’ll be saluting the Vancouver fan base specifically and giving away free money, free puppies or possibly your own Tim Horton’s store. And ‘ll be watching from afar getting drunk (ok, fine, tha’s a given no matter what they do).
Here are my observations so far:
2. They’re more than likely towel power.
3. Jersey insults hmm… are they saying they might unveil the rumoured third jersey that night?
The number “7” that flashes at the end is curious, it’s in a uniform-type font which suggests they could be honoring players (like Cliff Ronning who wore #7).
Whatever it is, it’s building some hype and whatever gets home town crowds and fans excited about hockey is fine with me (although, I just wish they had an embed option on the video so I could paste it here). What do you think is going to happen on Saturday at GM Place?