Capilano Suspension Bridge Park Anniversary Deals

Geek Girl TShirts Where Are You?

Thursday, February 28th, 2008 — 12:04am PDT

A while back Duane and I were on iChat talking about how it was almost lunch time. We exchanged some html talk like *hunger* me */hunger* (replacing * with the brackets of course) and it soon evolved into some php code that I simply can’t share because it may further screw up the format of this blog post. Needless to say, it was really fun… and uber nerdy.

I was browsing around this evening on the lookout for some new nerd-friendly t-shirts after being inspired by this shirt last week and a conversation Meg had on Twitter this morning. Unfortunately all I found was a serious lack of geeky t-shirts for women.

I’m not talking about the pink (and don’t get my wrong, I like pink) and sparkley “Geek Girl” shirts. I don’t want a shirt that states the obvious, I want something that would instantly display my geek-cred not one of those “*tits* */tits*” tops. (again, replacing * with the brackets)

Shirts like “I (heart) my Geek” are also cute, but I don’t want something that says I’m with a geek. ThinkGeek almost had me with “#!/usr/bin/girl“, “#include love.h” or with their babydoll version of “There’s no place like 127.0.0.1” until they threw on the ruby slippers.

This isn’t about feeling the need to validate my geekdom with a message t-shirt, it’s just that you know, I happen to own a few select message tees. They’re fun to have in the closet to bust out every now and then.

I think I can almost dig this little number from Cafepress, “Roses are #FF0000“, and upon flipping through the pages there are a few more gems like: “Turn me On“, with a cute little Mac power button, “Mac Chick Pro“, and okay I even got a chuckle out of “There’s Nothing Funny About Tubgirl“. I also like the pinup concept, but not sure I like this design in particular.

From Jinx I found the following that were pretty decent: “I’m only here because my server is down“, and “Arrogant Linux Elitist“.

I also giggled quite often looking at Syswear, however it was more of a sympathetic giggle followed by a groan: “That’s funny, it worked on my machine“, and “It’s not a bug, it’s a feature“.

But seriously, where else can I find some fun geek shirts, made for women, that are not gamer talk, contain no references to MySpace but just plain old… geeky?

1. Karen says:

Threadless occasionally prints geeky shirts. Some of my past favourites include the following…

They’re all sold out right now but they may be reprinted at some point.

And for the TV-watching geek, Television Without Pity has a BSG-themed shirt right now:

2. Tyler Ingram says:

That was evil to mention tubgirl ๐Ÿ™

lol I need some more geeky t-shirts. The only one I have now is my Firefox t-shirt. I keep meaning to goto ThinkGeek.com and get the SQL one that says:
    SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
    0 Results Returned

=D
    Reminds me when I was at SugarCON one of the Keynotes talked about a cool t-shirt website where people submit their own designs and they sell it for you. I’ll have to see if I can find the URL for it.

3. Yeah… the traditional ‘geek’ shirt market is still heavily centered around men. We cater to science geeks more than tech/computer geeks, but we do carry everything in women’s sizes.

4. Raul says:

This is a really funny post ๐Ÿ™‚

When I went to Victoria in November I found a few geeky t-shirts at a store I think it was on Johnson Street, about two blocks away from the bridge (going towards Douglas Street)… very cute designs.

I need a geeky t-shirt. Right now all I have is my self-centric “It’s all about me” and my “Smarter than your average blog” swag. But you look so much prettier in that one than I do ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Keira-Anne says:

Mayyyyyybe we should be really craft and witty and have some geek girl shirts made. Or, you know, we could always buy puff paint and make them ourselves. (I wonder if we could still get puff paint).

We could totally bedazzle something up I’m sure.

7. Jennifer says:

Making shirts is the way to go!
    P.S. You can TOTALLY still get puff paint- some friends and I made shirts with fun messages on them just a few weeks ago! hehe

8. Jackie says:

My favourite is the one that says, “There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those that understand binary and those that don’t.” hehehe

9. Kenny says:

This is a bit of a plug there might be some stuff here:

The site is sort of gaming oriented but there are some generic shirts here, and we try to add stuff all the time.

10. Ariane says:

umm…i think they made this one especially for you ๐Ÿ˜‰

ps. i totally want in on the geek girl t-shirt making party

11. Luc says:

A geeky girl may take example from Googirl, Marissa Mayer.
    Now, is your pet an Aibo?

12. […] a year ago I wrote about t-shirts designed with the geek girl in mind and I’ve always been a fan of techno-savvy tops (although in an early post from 2005 I did […]

13. VancityAllie says:

HAHA! Aww I love this post! Thanks for pointing me to it ๐Ÿ˜€

14. Olene Fassio says:

LAW 4: Golf balls never bounce off of trees back into play. If one does, the tree is breaking a law of the universe and should be cut down.

Vancouver Does SXSW