Hapa Izakaya on Robson

Despite living in the West End with access to a plethora of restaurants and ethnic eats, John and I usually stay home to eat. It’s a nice treat to head out for food, drinks, and good times with friends. We just so happened to have one of those nights last week as Keira joined us at Hapa Izakaya on Robson Street.

An “Izakaya” has been described to me as a place that serves Japanese tapas, share-plates that are accompanied with an extensive and creative drink menu. As such, the three of us each ordered drinks; John with the giant bottle of Sapporo, Keira with the pink Hello Kitty cocktail, and I tried out the Hapa Caesar with wasabi. The following are the dishes we all shared (including the beef tataki that we had twice since it was so good).

Edamame (which Keira noted due to their smokey flavour, were probably the best she’s had)
Hapa Izakya Robson

Beef tataki x2 (seared beef carpaccio with a sesame-chilli sauce)
Hapa Izakaya

Spicy tuna
Hapa Izakya Robson

Ebi mayo (tempura prawns in a spicy mayo sauce)
Hapa Izakya Robson

Gyoza (minced pork with slices of lotus roots, tempura style)
Hapa Izakya Robson

Maguro sushi (bigeye tuna marinated in ginger soy sauce)
Hapa Izakya Robson

Tiramisu & cheesecake
Hapa Izakya Robson

Our bill (for three people in total) came to $110 for all of the above including 3 drinks and the 2 big bottles of Sapporo.

Hapa Izakya Robson Hapa Izakya Robson

When you enter the restaurant you are greeted by the entire staff in unison, making you feel welcome. While the setting is dimly-lit, it adds to the atmosphere that, while teeming with conversations and chatter fueled by good eats, is mellow and easy-going. This makes Hapa a great neighbourhood hangout as well as a happening spot for a date or night on the town.

Hapa Izakaya has three locations in Vancouver that are now open for lunch (starting at 12:00pm). Hapa Izakaya Yaletown (1193 Hamilton Street), Hapa Izakaya Robson (1479 Robson Street), Hapa Izakaya Kitsilano (1516 Yew Street). You can also follow them on Twitter for deals, menu announcements and updates @HapaIzakaya.

Disclosure cmp.ly/2 I was not paid to write this post however our meal was covered by Hapa Izakaya

Update Hapa Izakaya has offered up a $50 gift certificate (good at Yaletown for lunch or all locations for dinner) to one of my readers. Please leave a comment on this post (as others already have) stating why you like Hapa or why you would like to give it a try. I’ll draw the winner Tuesday June 29th.

Update The winner of the gift certificate is Amanda R – congratulations and have a great time at Hapa!

Current Contests on Miss604
*All contests are open to residents of Canada only, unless otherwise stated. Contest timelines are published on each individual post along with entry methods. Some contests may only be open to those 19 years of age and older. Winners are announced on the contest blog posts. Contest policy »

1. dsThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 11:10am PDT

Great to read the experience downtown is same as what we had Kits location. H-I instantly shot to a top 5 fav for us for dining out with friends. People should step out of their Earl’s/Milestones/Cactus Club (all good but…) routine and head to Hapa Izakaya. Thanks for pics and descriptions too cause now I have more reasons to return to H-I and sample!

2. ClaudiaThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 11:24am PDT

I enjoy their location in Yaletown- next time, try something in one of their stone bowls- delicious!

3. KylaThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 12:35pm PDT

I’ve eaten at all their locations & would recommend every one! But Robson will always be my favorite. When I have out of town guests I always bring them for dinner. Good for 2…or for a group of 12!

4. bekkiThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 12:35pm PDT

I would love to try it out. I’m always looking for new restaurants to try in Vancouver whenever I go downtown

5. TeresaThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 12:35pm PDT

One of my favorite restaurants! I love their food and their Harajuku Girls drink!!

6. AngelaThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 12:36pm PDT

Yummy! Those photos definitely want to make me try Hapa. Love the food presentation!

7. LynnThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 12:36pm PDT

I’d like to give Hapa Izakaya a try! I love Japanese food but don’t know places that well so I rely on recommendations and word of mouth.

8. MelindaThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 12:37pm PDT

I am in LOVE with izakaya food, and hapa does it well! great atmosphere, great drinks and delicious food. I haven’t been back in a while and would love to go try it again! As the person mentioned above – their stone bowls are great too!

9. Stina GThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 12:38pm PDT

My boyfriend and I tend to go to the same three or four places for our dinners out, and I’d love to try someplace new! The food looks delicious and fun there.

10. NinanThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 12:38pm PDT

Hapa Izakay is great restaurant. Great food and great ambiance. I have recommended the restaurant to lots of people.

I would give the gift card someone who has never been to Hapa Izakay.

11. tabulaarasaThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 12:40pm PDT

I would love to try this place place out with my friends because it sounds like it has a great atmosphere and food. Yummy share plates and creative drinks sound like the perfect way to catch up with the girls!

12. MichaelThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 12:40pm PDT

Great! Can’t wait to try out Hapa Izakaya in Yaletown.. New location!

13. MitchellThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 12:41pm PDT

Love Hapa! Especially since they opened one up in my hood – Yaletown. Great addition to the neighbourhood!

14. sueThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 12:41pm PDT

Went to H I when it first opened!Had a great time. There was six of us (3 being Chefs) and loved the food, atmosphere, service ,even thou we were seated @ the very back near the service side.Our bill was much larger than yours as we had it seemed to me one of everything, & a couple of offerings twice! Have been back only a couple times but always one of my faves, there are just sooo many great places to eat in Metro Vancouver!Hallelujah!!!!

15. AdamThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 12:41pm PDT

It’s one of the best places to eat in Vancouver… for the food, but especially for the atmosphere. I love the welcome they give every customer. The sake is great too, and served in bamboo.

I took a friend who had lived in Japan for two years and he said it was the most authentic Izakaya he has been to outside of Japan.

16. CinnamonThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 12:42pm PDT

I love Hapa Izakaya! I have been a regular since they only had one location and the food and service is always outstanding. Can’t remember the name of the fish that they sear with blowtorch at the table…but I love it, it’s so impressive! I actually had my wedding rehearsal dinner at Hapa because it’s one of my favorite places to eat!

17. KateThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 12:43pm PDT

I can’t wait to try – it’s been on my list for a while! Thanks for the photos & review for bringing HI to the top of my list.

18. pauloThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 12:45pm PDT

love hapa. stylish and great food. different from your run of the mill japanese joint. havent been to the yaletown location for lunch/dinner. been to the robson one a few times.

keep creating great dishes, hapa peeps!

19. Hank LewisThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 12:47pm PDT

I’ll be visiting Vancouver again in August of this year. The pictures you posted of the great variety of colourful dishes that are well plated made my mouth water. I always spend a fair amount of time on the West End when I’m in BC, and this is one place I will definitely be trying. While there are some Japanese Tapas places in Houston, I know the Vancouver Japanese Tapas restaurants are more authentic. I’d love to give Hapa Izakaya a try!

20. Grace CheungThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 12:48pm PDT

The expanded location on Robson has a great lounge-y vibe…love it!

21. Alex CameronThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 1:00pm PDT

I haven’t been to Hapa in a while but I really like the whole izakaya style of dining. That and some of their food is really terrific, I always have to get their gyoza. It’s really really good.

22. KarenThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 1:02pm PDT

Love Hapa Izakaya! How fun is it to be yelled at when you enter/exit? Answer: very fun.

23. YvonneThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 1:08pm PDT

I like hapa because its not your typical Japanese fare IE sushi, udons, ands sashimi. Small little dishes to try, perfect

24. UrsulaThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 1:11pm PDT

I had the best squid I’ve ever eaten at the Robson location. I love the ambience too.

25. PCLThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 1:13pm PDT

Haven’t been and would love to experience it myself.

26. roseThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 1:14pm PDT

Looks yummy. Love to try them out.

27. willThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 1:16pm PDT

would be interested to try it…i like guu a lot and it seems like the same kind of thing!

28. ariaThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 1:16pm PDT

Haven’t been to a Izakaya. Looks very trendy. Makes me want to venture out there.

29. yingThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 1:18pm PDT

Very fresh and colourful food. Definitely a place on my to try list.

30. A HThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 1:22pm PDT

Thanks for the introduction. Love to try it out.

31. deniThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 1:25pm PDT

I would love to try Hapa Izakaya because your photos are making my mouth water! Yum!
    denimc{at}gmail{dot}com

32. SueThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 1:30pm PDT

I’m an ex-Vancouverite in town for a visit. Would love to try Hapa Izakaya! I’ve been really interested in this kind of resto and would love to treat my sis.

33. Angie SchickThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 1:33pm PDT

I love izakayas, but haven’t tried the Hapa in Yaletown yet, so would love to.

Thanks!
    Angie

34. jessvonrottenThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 1:42pm PDT

I would love to try this restaurant because Im always looking for new things to try and places to go!

35. HelenThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 1:44pm PDT

Looks delish, would love to try it.

36. PeteThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 1:47pm PDT

Haven’t Hapa. Would love to.

37. aloThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 1:49pm PDT

Your photos look amazing.

38. BrendaThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 1:50pm PDT

I’ve never been to Hapa Izakaya except for takeaway from their Kits location once! Isn’t that terrible? I have been meaning to go back but sometimes I get in a bit of a rut when it comes to my sushi places. This would give me a good kick to go back and try it again!

39. aloThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 1:50pm PDT

Your photos look mazing.

40. VivianThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 1:54pm PDT

I love the small bites! Gives everyone a chance to try something different all at the same time!

41. PetThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 2:03pm PDT

The colours! Looks delish.

42. ayloThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 2:05pm PDT

Beautiful presentation! Fresh-looking. A place to impress, I guess.

43. VanThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 2:09pm PDT

Yum! I love the food at Hapa and the atmosphere there is always great.

44. CourtneyThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 2:09pm PDT

Hapa is one of my favourite places to take friends new to Vancouver. The staff is fantastic — AND they hosted an amazing Driftwood beer event at a very affordable price during Craft Beer Week!

45. SamanthaThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 2:22pm PDT

I’ve been meaning to visit and now I will definitely stop by during the weekend! It would make the experience extra special if I won the gift certificate.

46. MicaelaThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 2:28pm PDT

Japanese + tapas = perfect combo! 🙂 Love the look of the tempura prawns & dessert!!

47. Alan CThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 2:31pm PDT

When I discovered Hapa a few years ago, it became my #1 place to take out-of-town guests. The friendly atmosphere was definitely a factor, but I definitely go for their great food. Their ebi mayo IS THE BEST.

48. LiaThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 2:34pm PDT

I would love to try Hapa Izakaya, the ebi mayo looks SOOO good! 🙂

49. RyanThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 2:40pm PDT

Its the best place to eat and drink, so I can easily spend the night there – from dinner time to the wee hours of the morning!

50. Mama in the CityThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 2:54pm PDT

I would love to try out their Yaletown location!

51. NavidaThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 3:15pm PDT

The food is tasty, fresh and the ambiance is always welcoming and fun.

52. CGThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 3:21pm PDT

Besides the food, the atmosphere at DT is amazing. When you walk through the door you feel like entering a restaurant in Fukuoka or any other japanese city. Can’t wait for them to reopen!

53. LaraThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 3:39pm PDT

I am visiting Vancouver for the first time soon and would love to try out a great local restaurant.

54. JeremyThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 4:22pm PDT

I love sushi and Japanese food! I would love to give them a try 🙂

55. JenThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 4:23pm PDT

I can never say no to a new restaurant, this one sounds fabulous!

56. DeeThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 4:27pm PDT

Looks yummy! I’d like to try the Robson location.

57. Christine WangThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 4:44pm PDT

Ebi Mayo and Hello Kitty are my must haves there.

58. TracyThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 4:50pm PDT

I always have a great time when I’m there w/friends – it’s practically guaranteed w/the big bottles of sapporo bottles! Not to mention their AMAZING ebi mayo!

59. KatieThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 5:15pm PDT

I love going to Hapa. I went there with all my family for my bday dinner and the service was amazing. I would love to go again.

60. VeronicaThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 5:16pm PDT

I keep hearing about this restaurant in reviews, on dinehere.ca, etc… I’m tired of hearing about it, I should just go!

61. AlexThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 5:28pm PDT

The food is great and service is extraordinary. I should try out the newest branch.

62. MonicaThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 5:46pm PDT

I love Japanese food. I’d be great to give this place a try.

63. TracyThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 6:17pm PDT

I’ve been to Hapa Izakaya once before and it had great atmosphere and food. The one dish me and my friends remember is this great mackeral dish.

64. JeanieThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 6:29pm PDT

I love this place!

65. Amanda RThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 8:36pm PDT

Your pictures alone have convinced me to give this place a try – the spicy tuna looks fantastic

66. ashleeThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 9:43pm PDT

the food looks awesome…i would love to give these restaurants a try!

67. E. TangThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 9:52pm PDT

Great food and great drinks. So happy it’s now ‘close to home’ in Yaletown.

68. LandonThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 9:57pm PDT

I took a friend from out of town to Hapa Izakaya Yaletown earlier this month. We began with a cocktail; I ordered the shochu (Japanese vodka) martini with muddled cucumber – very nice, with a mild sweetness. We selected three dishes to start: short ribs, marinated cod, and spot prawns. The local BC spot prawns were in season and we ordered them simply grilled – amazingly fresh and very tasty. We decided to order another three dishes to share: ishiyaki (pork and rice in a hot stone bowl – outstanding!), prosciutto-wrapped halibut, and baby eggplant gyoza. Having sated our hunger and delighted our tastebuds, we couldn’t have asked for more. The staff were all welcoming, helpful, friendly and efficient. I look forward to going back.

69. BrendaThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 10:00pm PDT

I love trying new restaurants all the time and Japanese cuisine is one of my favorites!

70. FMCThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 10:06pm PDT

My partner and I love Japanese cuisine. We would love to try Hapa Izakaya. Your pics look great and the restaurant just might become my favorite.

71. aceyThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 10:30pm PDT

Hapa Izakaya has been on my list of places to try forever!! Love the pictures you posted. Everything looks so purdy 🙂

72. SharonThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 10:30pm PDT

This is the best place for Japanese! Love it.

73. NormThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 10:36pm PDT

The food looks fantastic. I’m always on the look out for a new place to eat. Definitely want to try it. Have heard so many great things about Hapa Izakaya.

74. MariaThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 10:46pm PDT

Food looks so inviting and yummy.

75. LindaThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 11:12pm PDT

Love the pictures! Japanese tapas and share-plates- sounds great. Would love to try this.

76. Jeff MacLeodThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 11:30pm PDT

Looks like an interesting meal

77. TawcanThursday, June 24th, 2010 — 11:49pm PDT

I love Japanese food, you can probably tell from me having Japanese 5 times out of the last 7 days. Surprisingly I haven’t tried Hapa Izakaya yet. I’d love to go and check it out seeing how delicious the food is there from your pics.

78. Heather berryFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 12:16am PDT

I heart Hapa because their seared tuna sashimi is to die for!

79. WilsonFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 12:30am PDT

I like Hapa because it was one of the first izakayas to bring this style of cuisine into the mainstream 8-9 years ago.

80. RachaelFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 2:35am PDT

Oishii ne…gyoza to edamame to tempura o tabetai imasu. That’s about the limit of my Japanese.

81. SeanFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 8:08am PDT

Looks like good food. I’d love to try it.

82. HollyFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 8:54am PDT

Seems like great food….AND…Hello Kitty Cocktail!! Sign me up!

83. RoshenaFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 9:32am PDT

Those pictures are making me ravenous!

84. JanieFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 10:26am PDT

I love Japanese food, especially at Hapa. King crab roll is my favorite, and Mmmmm this post makes me crave for it.

85. livFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 11:03am PDT

wow this post is making me really hungry. i love Hapa b/c they were one of the first (besides Guu) to bring the izakaya style of food to vancouver. They really made it a hip scene that wasn’t just about style but substance too. Hope I get the gift cert!

86. Linda SFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 11:15am PDT

Mmmmmmm i love their ebi mayo. Its too delicious.

87. LeighFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 11:41am PDT

I have never yet been to an izakaya restaurant in Vancouver, how I don’t know. I’ve only been to one in Seattle, where our waiter gushed about how great the izakaya selection is in Vancouver. I’d love to have the chance to try our Hapa soon, especially if I can do it with a gift certificate!! Thanks for the great post Rebecca!

88. AlFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 11:55am PDT

Very interested!

89. SerenaFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 11:56am PDT

I love Japanese Tapas, Hapa Izakaya, here I come

90. CherylFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 12:06pm PDT

I love Hapa Izakaya. My favourites are the ebi may and negitoro. Mmmmmm…so good!

91. ChristineFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 12:09pm PDT

I’d love to check out the one in Kits!

92. CeciFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 12:36pm PDT

I’ve never been to this Izakaya restaurant but have always wanted to try. The food looks awesome! It would be nice if I win but I’ll still try it out. Thanks!

93. BunnieFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 12:44pm PDT

The mention of Hapa Izakaya makes me squeal and giggle with joy and excitement. Let me be full and happy!

94. JeffreyFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 12:50pm PDT

I look forward to going back to Hapa Izakaya again. It’d be great to have this G/C to go along with it 🙂

I love almost everything on the menu. There’s only a few more things left to try on the menu..:D

95. seenfromthewestFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 1:40pm PDT

i’m such a fan. i love that you can have a huge group of people, and taste just about everything on the menu, and it’s crazy affordable.
    most of the time we just tell them to bring us enough delicious things for everyone to share and they always take care of us.

96. TrevorFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 1:45pm PDT

I would love to give Hapa a try. I’ve been to Globefish Izakaya in my hometown of Calgary, so an opportunity to try Hapa Izakaya in Vancouver would be great. I visit Vancouver a few times a year simply for a Left Coast get away. I usually stay at the Opus so either the Yaletown or Robson (I like Sutton Place as well) locations are perfect!

Cheers,
    Trevor

97. SanazFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 2:39pm PDT

Hapa is one of my favourite places to eat in the West End. Would love to go again:)

98. BrendaFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 4:18pm PDT

I love Hapa!

99. GinaFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 5:09pm PDT

I’ve always wanted to try Japanese tapas!

100. HelenaFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 5:33pm PDT

This looks wonderful! How come I didn’t know about it. Will be making a visit there soon – hopefully with a $50 gift certificate!!

101. MimiFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 7:04pm PDT

I would love to try out a new restaurant! Thanks for sharing your insight and great pics, looks wonderful!

102. PatFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 7:52pm PDT

Thanks for your coverage of Hapa. Whenever guests come visit us from out of town we like to take them to Hapa on Robson. Justin (Hapa owner) and his team take the izakaya concept to another level in Vancouver!

103. MyleneFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 9:58pm PDT

Hapa is the BEST Izakaya in town! I go there at least once a month. Everything is special there… The service is awesome (very cool greeting when you open the door), the food is to die for and the ambiance is loungy yet sophisticated. Everytime we have visitors, we make sure we take them to Hapa Izakaya so they can see for themselves what’s so special about Vancouver’s food. It’s definitely something to experience!

104. LeannaFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 9:59pm PDT

I love the photos of the food – prepared in not quite in the usual way. mmm- delicious, I would love to visit.

105. RichardFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 11:10pm PDT

I’m in for lunch.

106. SteveFriday, June 25th, 2010 — 11:52pm PDT

been there before and i like the cute servers 🙂

107. AnitaSaturday, June 26th, 2010 — 12:00am PDT

My favorite is the grilled mackerel…deep fried fish bones…not to mention beautiful raku bowls…the server’s black aprons….the music…everything about Hapa is inspiration for the palate, eyes and ears.

108. XingSaturday, June 26th, 2010 — 7:35am PDT

From the comments, it seems like a good restaurant. I like trying new things and here is an opportunity to do so!

109. LoriSaturday, June 26th, 2010 — 10:25am PDT

I’d love to try it simply based on your photo of the Maguro sushi – yum!

110. EllenSaturday, June 26th, 2010 — 12:51pm PDT

The food at izakaya/tapas style restaurants are more interesting and varied than the predictable food over sushi/noodles/tempura joints.

111. DanykaSaturday, June 26th, 2010 — 2:33pm PDT

I love Japanese food!

112. JulieanneSaturday, June 26th, 2010 — 7:47pm PDT

Looks amazing! Been hearing about Hapa for awhile now, been to Guu, but would love to go here! Thanks for the photos!!!

113. BethSaturday, June 26th, 2010 — 7:57pm PDT

I’d like to try it out because you are giving away a gift cert! Free food always tastes better! 😉

114. JanetSaturday, June 26th, 2010 — 8:32pm PDT

The dishes look so tasty and I would love to try them out!

115. Lisa BrighamSaturday, June 26th, 2010 — 9:14pm PDT

looks good, will try them next weekend with friends from LA!

116. patti millardSaturday, June 26th, 2010 — 10:22pm PDT

We are sushi addicts and like trying places that are recommended by others; are a little skeptical to pick a place out of the phone book! We’d love to try it even more if it’s free!

117. Michael KwanSaturday, June 26th, 2010 — 11:33pm PDT

Having lived in Vancouver pretty much all my life, I have yet to go to any of the izakaya places that have popped up in the last 5-10 years. I’d really want to give them a try since I already like sushi places, ramen places (having blogged about at least two of them from the Denman/Robson corridor), and so on. It’s about time I get in some izakaya.

118. safiq majeSunday, June 27th, 2010 — 1:51am PDT

I love their version of Agadeshi Tofu even though it may seem simple plus with a few Harajuku Girl’s im good to go.

119. JennSunday, June 27th, 2010 — 4:45am PDT

I love Japanese food so I definitely want to give this restaurant a try next time I’m on Robson.

120. ErinSunday, June 27th, 2010 — 11:58am PDT

Best edamame around was recommendation enough.

121. JeanieSunday, June 27th, 2010 — 12:06pm PDT

Started the whole izakaya trend and still remains tops on my list 🙂

122. DilaraSunday, June 27th, 2010 — 12:29pm PDT

I absolutely love Hapa! My fiancee took me to the Robson location on our 3rd date, almost 4 years ago. It was then that I realized he’s a foodie just like me!

123. StephanieSunday, June 27th, 2010 — 1:36pm PDT

The ebi mayo is my favourite!

124. KimSunday, June 27th, 2010 — 1:46pm PDT

I LOVE HAPA! I can order 8 dishes and know I’ll enjoy every single one! Great drinks too. Reminds me of Japan.

125. BonnieSunday, June 27th, 2010 — 4:49pm PDT

always up for new new sushi find

126. AmySunday, June 27th, 2010 — 7:26pm PDT

Cause its my birthday!mmmmm!!

127. RachelMonday, June 28th, 2010 — 10:15am PDT

Their seared mackerel is awesome!

128. jpMonday, June 28th, 2010 — 12:06pm PDT

I like it because it’s open late and ebi mayo.

129. NicolbMonday, June 28th, 2010 — 12:07pm PDT

1) because my birthday’s coming up!
    2) they probably have the best beef tataki ever.

Delicious!

130. NicoleMonday, June 28th, 2010 — 12:08pm PDT

Such a great restaurant! Great hours and some of the best japanese food I have had!

131. AggieMonday, June 28th, 2010 — 12:36pm PDT

Your review made me hungry for HI! (I hope I win the G.cert.) Thanks!

132. Stephanie SMonday, June 28th, 2010 — 12:37pm PDT

I have never been, and would love to try their edamame and spicy tuna also!

133. AlexMonday, June 28th, 2010 — 12:46pm PDT

The ebi mayo prawns are the best!

134. JewelsMonday, June 28th, 2010 — 1:09pm PDT

I’ve always walked by this restaurant and never even entered. i think it would be fun to try a new restaurant in the west end

135. RennMonday, June 28th, 2010 — 1:19pm PDT

I love Japanese cuisine but have never tried Hapa! Would love to try!

136. Meera BennettMonday, June 28th, 2010 — 1:28pm PDT

I adore Hapa Izakaya! it is one of the few restaurants in Vancouver that is both delicious and has a good selection of vegetarian food. Pick me!

137. LizaMonday, June 28th, 2010 — 2:07pm PDT

I’ve heard good things about this place. Would love to try it.

138. IntoxMonday, June 28th, 2010 — 2:43pm PDT

I love sushi and would love to add this to the many sushi restaurants i have been to in Vancouver.

139. tvlifeMonday, June 28th, 2010 — 3:33pm PDT

I love the style & techniques Hapa Izakaya uses to create their foods…who else blowtorches a mackeral at your table? Never an un-tasty experience!

140. Robin LeungMonday, June 28th, 2010 — 3:37pm PDT

Have heard of Hapa but never tried it, dater reading this post, would definitely want to give it a try.

141. ShereeMonday, June 28th, 2010 — 4:05pm PDT

Have been to Gu with Garlic, would love to try another place that serves “japas.”

142. limekwokMonday, June 28th, 2010 — 6:17pm PDT

I love hapa most for their atmosphere… I’ve been only to the one on robson, and it’s always the “it” place- young, fun people, there to enjoy yummy food and cool drinks. I’m thinking of trying hapa in kits next.

143. CharleneMonday, June 28th, 2010 — 8:24pm PDT

Heard this place is great! Would love to give it a try. Gift certificate would be great as I’m on a tight budget these days looking for work.

144. CaioMonday, June 28th, 2010 — 9:48pm PDT

I would love to give it a try because I love Japanese food, but I’ve never been to a Japanese restaurant like Izakaya. I am going through treatment against Cancer and would be really cool to have dinner at Izakaya and forget about chemo! 🙂
    Great article!

145. KarenTuesday, June 29th, 2010 — 1:46am PDT

It looks fantastic – I would love to go!

146. JeremyTuesday, June 29th, 2010 — 3:03am PDT

I’ve been to Hapa Izakaya a few times over the years and the food is always consistently good.

147. MaryTuesday, June 29th, 2010 — 8:45am PDT

I love Japanese and I’ve never tried it? Your pictures look so yummy!

148. Erin OTuesday, June 29th, 2010 — 9:17am PDT

Japanese tapas is the way to go and this place looks amazing. I am dying to try it!!

149. MarinaTuesday, June 29th, 2010 — 9:19am PDT

Would love to try Hapa Izakaya based on your pictures!!! The food looks so good!

150. AshleyTuesday, June 29th, 2010 — 9:35am PDT

The only restaurant in Vancouver that I would go to several nights in a row! So fresh and delicious; love the service and culture of Hapa.

151. LyndseyTuesday, June 29th, 2010 — 9:36am PDT

I have always wanted to try Hapa Izakaya! I absolutely adore Japanese cuisine and sushi, so this would be a wonderful place to dine for lunch. I have heard the decor and atmosphere at the three locations is soothing and that the menu offers crisp, fresh ingredients (your pictures made my mouth water!), as well as thirst quenching drinks. Most excited, please count me in!!!

152. ErinTuesday, June 29th, 2010 — 9:39am PDT

Two words….Ebi Mayo. Oh Hapa, how I love you so! I would also love to win because my stagette was at Hapa and my anniversary is coming up and my hubby and I need a date!

153. Mike WTuesday, June 29th, 2010 — 9:41am PDT

Wow, Hapa looks amazing! I don’t get to eat out much, but I will definitely try it out!

154. CassieTuesday, June 29th, 2010 — 9:41am PDT

I love izakayas and we’re so lucky to have quite a few here in Vancouver. YUMMY!

155. cbjerrisgaardTuesday, June 29th, 2010 — 9:43am PDT

Hapa offers an atmosphere that is quite diverse. I’ve had dates there, gone for casual group meals, and all out messy parties. In the end the venue suited all of these situations. The food is fantastic, and best when shared with others. The drinks are creative, but if you’d rather just down lager and sake shots that works as well. The long and the short of it, Hapa has been host to some of my most entertaining evenings in the past few years.

156. Natalie LapointeTuesday, June 29th, 2010 — 9:47am PDT

I took my boyfriend to the Robson St. location on one of our first dates — almost a year ago. Would be great to celebrate a one-year anniversary there. I Love Hapa and I Love Him!

157. Joyce LoTuesday, June 29th, 2010 — 9:56am PDT

I love their ebi mayo.

158. RanelleTuesday, June 29th, 2010 — 10:09am PDT

Looks good!

159. DTuesday, June 29th, 2010 — 10:18am PDT

Yes please!

160. Karen TTuesday, June 29th, 2010 — 10:22am PDT

I’d love a chance to go. The review sounds so good.

161. Cameron WTuesday, June 29th, 2010 — 10:22am PDT

This sounds like a great restaurant. I hope I win. 🙂

162. Lesli @boldtcomTuesday, June 29th, 2010 — 10:30am PDT

I’ve only been there once but was blown away – that’s my kind of Japanese food – yummmm…

163. LesleyTuesday, June 29th, 2010 — 10:53am PDT

Don’t think I’ve ever been there, would love to try it!

164. JeanTuesday, June 29th, 2010 — 11:40am PDT

Thank you… I know where I’m headed next time I’m downtown (beautiful presentation of fare)! Ebi mayo and tiramisu both look scrumptious! ~.~

165. JennyTuesday, June 29th, 2010 — 5:30pm PDT

I like Hapa Izakaya because they have the most interesting menu, good-looking waitresses and you can’t see a thing inside XD