BarCamp Vancouver 2009

It’s that time of year again… it’s time for BarCamp.

BarCamp actually has nothing to do with an actual “Bar” per se. It’s a social media, social networking, and open-format technology unconference. If you’ve become familiar with the Northern Voice Conference, it’s similar but on a smaller scale. For a full description of BarCamp and unconferences, check out my BarCamp 2008 Save the Date post.

Who: You, and approximately 299 friends
When: Saturday, October 3rd, 2009 (kick off party on Friday October 2nd)
Where: Discovery Parks Vancouver (old QLT building) on Great Northern Way
Tickets: Available online for $25 and include party, t-shirt, and breakfast & lunch

More: Flickr group, web chat, draft schedule. Sessions to be decided by attendees, will also include PhotoCamp (thanks to John for the reminder).

hot stuffs!
2006, 2007, 2008 – Image (right) credit: Ianiv & Arieanna

This is my fourth annual BarCamp and I must say, the first BarCamp Vancouver in 2006 changed my life. I did my first live blog that weekend and met some amazing people whom I still communicate with, admire, and look up to in the Vancouver tech community.

Tickets are on sale now and for only $25 (including t-shirt, party, and meals) it’s the hottest deal in town.

1. JohnThursday, August 13th, 2009 — 2:58pm PDT

Don’t forget PhotoCamp is usually a big part of BarCamp for all the photogs out there…and usually my favorite thing.

2. Miss604Thursday, August 13th, 2009 — 3:01pm PDT

Thanks John! I’ve added that to the post.

3. VancityAllieThursday, August 13th, 2009 — 6:14pm PDT

Looks like a lot of fun! I’m hoping to make it to one of these soon.

4. Tyler IngramFriday, August 14th, 2009 — 6:55am PDT

I bought my ticket, I manage to scrounge up some money from couch so I could attend. BarCamp last year was my first, loved Photo Camp though perhaps I’ll enjoy more of it this year since I’ll know more people too!

5. leenyFriday, August 14th, 2009 — 9:32am PDT

Every year I want to go, but every year I have to decide between the Vancouver Film Fest and Barcamp. Film Fest wins again.

6. photodreamzFriday, August 14th, 2009 — 7:14pm PDT

Would love to go to both, but cand stand the speaking in public part of it.

7. Miss604Friday, August 14th, 2009 — 9:18pm PDT

You don’t *have* to speak. Participation can be in many other ways including liveblogging.

8. Chad LeamanSaturday, August 15th, 2009 — 12:06am PDT

This sounds very interesting, I haven’t heard of before. Guess I’m just getting “in the know”, but knowing is half the battle.

9. Veronica HeringerMonday, August 17th, 2009 — 11:19am PDT

Hey Rebecca!
    I’d love to attend, but I feel that I am not an active blogger to deserve it ;0)
    I’d love to learn more about blogging and social media though. What do you recommend?

10. Miss604Monday, August 17th, 2009 — 11:28am PDT

@Veronica it’s definitely for everyone. There are super tech talks, but also very general and basic philosophical and “best practices” type sessions. The first time I went I had never been to a blogging or social media event (ever) and had a fantastic time.

11. JohnMonday, August 17th, 2009 — 3:33pm PDT

The big question that keeps popping up when I mention BarCamp to people is “Do I have to speak?”.

Short answer: NO!

The whole point though is that people get together and share ideas. Participating in some form is encouraged – even if that’s asking just questions.

There is no requirement for you to present an topic or idea in order to attend a BarCamp.

Chances are that once you see how they operate though, you’ll want to participate more…maybe even speak next time.

12. Day Blog from BarCamp Vancouver 2009 » Vancouver Blog Miss 604 by Rebecca BollwittSaturday, October 3rd, 2009 — 10:29am PDT

[…] BarCamp is an unconference that focuses on social media, technology, and community-building in the online or mobile realm. I know that’s kind of a mouth full but it’s the first style of social media conference I ever attended and I credit BarCamp 2006 for being the launching point of my blogging “career”. […]