Wednesday Morning Conservative Link Fest

Last night I probably did the most Twittering I’ve done in a few months while watching and tracking election coverage. The dust has settled this morning (well for some, since our voter turnout was a record low) and while we all try to adjust to our new same minority government, here’s a tasty link fest to enjoy.

• I have my weekly radio guest spot this afternoon somewhere between 2:45pm and 3:15pm on Talk1410am. Every Wednesday I talk about what’s going on in the Vancouver blogosphere, promo events, then share three entertaining, funny, or useful websites. If you have any suggestions for my weekly top 3 (themed lists are always fun) just drop me a line.
  • The Globe and Mail discovers what liveblogging is and decides that it, “panders to the desire to have instant feedback from the crowd before making up your own mind. It caters to the pleasant feeling of having events prechewed for you.” The author also uses the word “knob-twiddlers” twice.
  • How to get your social media strategies to play nice with mainstream media.
  • Vancouver has approved a ban on plastic grocery bags. I just really hope that starch-based bags appear more frequently in stores. We’re pretty much inundated with cloth bags of all kinds, however I know our property manager can be rather fickle; I’m not sure about the rules surrounding the emptying of loose waste into the dumpsters. It also continues to amaze and impress me that EnviroWoman has been managing to live Plastic Free for years (and that’s plastics of any and all kinds). On that note, I would also suggest everyone see the film, Addicted to Plastic that I caught the premiere of at the VIFF.
  • The Vancouver Whitecaps are the USL First Division champions.
  • Carl Bessai took home another top award at the VIFF last Friday.
  • Reminder: October 21st is Third Tuesday at Republic on Granville with guest speaker Mhari Petrovic. I will be collecting food donations for the Greater Vancouver Food Bank and all those who bring an item (or 50) will be entered to win a gift pack including Stella McCartney CARE products and tickets that are good for ANY regular season Vancouver Giants game this year.
  • Thanks to a Twitter from Gus, I found out today is “Be Common Day” in support of Creative Commons licensing (like what I have here on my site).
  • As mentioned last week, today is Blog Action Day.

Here are 30 Simple Ways to Battle Poverty with Technology, although it should read social media, there are still some great tips.

You can learn more about local initiatives on the Homelessness Action Week website or around the blogosphere this morning, to find out how you can help.

1. gusgreeperWednesday, October 15th, 2008 — 8:42am PDT

we got rid of plastic bags in the garbage can in the kitchen months ago now, it is more work for sure but the only thing that i think your landlord can get mad at is if you put animal waste in the dumpster which i have never understood because where are you supposed to put it? our landlord as you know complains about EVERYTHING and we’ve had no problem getting rid of the bags we just have to sneak the cat liter out.

2. kulpreet singhWednesday, October 15th, 2008 — 9:17am PDT

Hi Rebecca, Very glad to the ban of plastic bags in Vancouver – hopefully other cities in BC will follow. Thanks for the link 🙂

3. MaverickWednesday, October 15th, 2008 — 10:01am PDT

Agreed, the pastic bag ban is very welcome… I’ve been trying to reduce my use of them since watching this excellent documentary:

I have to admit, its been a lot harder than I expected. Getting stores to stop use them and have more environmentally-friendly options will go a long ways to making the transition much easier.

4. Michelle EvansWednesday, October 15th, 2008 — 11:00am PDT

I am really curious, though, about whether or not sales of packages of plastic kitchen bags will go through the roof or if people really are going to dispose of loose waste into bins. I admit to using the few grocery bags I do accumulate to tie up really awful diapers before disposing – we’re in an apartment. We have, however, been using cloth bags for shopping for months now.

5. AllieWednesday, October 15th, 2008 — 12:57pm PDT

You know, I’m honestly surprised to hear that we got a record low voter turnout. It seemed to me that more people I know were voting. Even students and coworkers that I’ve been talking to.

I wonder if the long weekend had anything to do with it.

Thanks for that link, I never would have known otherwise.

6. Urban DwellerWednesday, October 15th, 2008 — 4:16pm PDT

Hey Rebecca, just to let you know we have a pic of the new canucks 3rd jersey on our blog. I’m only saying because you are a huge fan like myself and am not trying to be a spam.

As for the plastic ban bag. Its about time. The low voter turnout probably has to also do with the new ID rules. When I was in line many people were turned away. They were pretty angry and who knows if they came back.

7. Miss604Wednesday, October 15th, 2008 — 4:22pm PDT

@ Urban Dweller – Cool, yes I’ve seen it, we’ve passed it around The Crazy Canucks mailing list and our co-host JJ had it up on his blog earlier today.

8. Urban DwellerWednesday, October 15th, 2008 — 4:39pm PDT

Oh now I feel dumb, even more so than usual lol.

9. BNWednesday, October 15th, 2008 — 11:01pm PDT

Think you mean “thanks to a TWEET from Gus”.

10. Miss604Thursday, October 16th, 2008 — 8:04am PDT

@ BN – Thanks, but I meant it in the sense of a Twitter message. I try not to sound too much like a “social media douchebag” for my audience so I wanted to identify the means of the message – not the buzzword. However you are correct, the term would be “Tweet”.