Dress Me, Vancouver

Photo credit: Duane Storey on Flickr

First off, I’m not naked as the title of this post may perhaps suggest. Secondly, this is an uncharacteristic post as I’m not going to talking history, hockey or about the latest Twitter applications.

Admittedly, girlie matters are not my strong suit. I can only remember wearing a dress twice in the last year (and the last time I wore my LBD I was also wearing a conference lanyard) so it’s rather apparent that I don’t have much of a selection in my closet.

Months ago Keira and I went shopping for the perfect LBD or “little black dress”. Since we waited until after Christmas and were too early for Grad season, the pickings at local dress shops were slim. As such, I’m a little gun shy this time around but I desperately need something sensational for this Friday night (that could also carry over into the Christmas party season).

So it’ll put it to my readers: What does a budgeted blogger like myself wear to a fantastic, fantabulous gala event like the closing celebration of the Vancouver International Film Festival? More importantly, where do I look in this city for something cocktail event-worthy?

Current Contests on Miss604
*All contests are open to residents of Canada only, unless otherwise stated. Contest timelines are published on each individual post along with entry methods. Some contests may only be open to those 19 years of age and older. Winners are announced on the contest blog posts. Contest policy »

1. JenWednesday, October 8th, 2008 — 4:21pm PST

The LeChateau outlet on Seymour just off Dunsmuir usually has a pretty good selection of party dresses. Also pocketbook friendly for those of us who don’t wear party dresses that often. Dress it up with some nice jewelry and faaaaabulous shoes and you’ll look like a million bucks!

2. JoanneWednesday, October 8th, 2008 — 4:34pm PST

I’m a European in Vancouver and first on my also budget shopping list in always Zara – then H&M, if you can stand the crowds and if only if you have the talent and time to really rummage through to find the hidden gems! Also going to suggest Mango (www.mangoshop.com), very similar to Zara (try something similar on in Zara to determine your size first) and they are not in Vancouver, so you can order online, they’ll ship it in 2-5 business days (maybe not ideal for this Friday), and if you spend $150, there is no delivery charge (so get a few friends together, all order something at the same time… you know the drill)! That is the only online shopping I would do!

Hope you get something great!

3. JennWednesday, October 8th, 2008 — 4:39pm PST

I love buying dresses at Babe Belangere in Yaletown and Nadia recommends Spank on W. 4th

4. Keira-AnneWednesday, October 8th, 2008 — 4:44pm PST

What’s your budget, approximately?

5. Jonathon NarveyWednesday, October 8th, 2008 — 4:50pm PST

Screw retail. Try eBay.

6. AllieWednesday, October 8th, 2008 — 6:23pm PST

I just bought a really cute dress at Aritzia. There’s a fantastic designer that’s being sold there called Wilfred. I bought a gray and black one, but there are quite a few other dresses there by Wilfred and other designers there that stand out a lot more. Wilfred also has a couple cute and flattering black dresses.

I also really have to recommend Holt Renfrew. Honestly for some of the prices that are being charged in stores these days, you can find the similar prices at HR, except much more fashionable and better quality. Make sure you go to the “casual” section though, not the boutiques (this is the section closest to the sky walkway). There are some really nice Chloe dresses, Marc Jacobs has some great dresses this fall, and also check out Laundry, rag & bone, and Theory. In the casual section the dresses are $100-400, but you can find some really great dresses that’ll last you years.

Also, to be truly “Vancouver”, you should also check out Main Street. A lot of the up and coming Vancouver and Canadian designers are selling there, so you’re guaranteed to find something unique there.

Please post pics of what you end up buying! Good luck 🙂

7. RaulWednesday, October 8th, 2008 — 7:04pm PST

In Spain, Zara is inexpensive. In Canada it’s not. But at any rate, I just think that you’d look gorgeous in any dress. Just saying.

8. AirWednesday, October 8th, 2008 — 7:05pm PST

In a pinch, you will always find something on Main St. I like “Show-Off” and “The Barefoot Contessa.”

If you want to try another tact, recycle an old dress and buy some new jewelry!! Blue Ruby has affordable pieces.

I’ve been to a VIFF Gala before, and in my recollection the crowd is very mixed. The Vancouver film scene is more casual than the Toronto scene.

Good luck!!

9. rachaelWednesday, October 8th, 2008 — 9:48pm PST

If you have the patience to search through racks of clothing, you can try a consignment store in an affluent area. There are some amazing designer and high quality clothes being sent off to consignment stores, having been barely worn. I once lucked upon a $400 (retail) dress for $80. The higher end clothing tends to last longer as well. If you find one that is a great cut for you, that fits well and has a timeless style, you will enjoy it for a very long time. 🙂 Have fun on your search!

10. RaulWednesday, October 8th, 2008 — 11:41pm PST

Ok, fine… since Air already commented, I’ll second her suggestions. And, if you DO want to come to the Main St. area to shop for a dress, I can take you to Narcissist (on Main and almost 22nd). Then we can do lunch at Zipang Sushi 🙂

11. Erin MaherThursday, October 9th, 2008 — 3:00am PST

I recommend Gastown for good shopping. There’s Dream, which is at 311 W Cordova, and it’s 98% locally produced which seems fitting for a Miss 604 🙂 Some really unique stuff.

Ric Yuenn is a couple doors down from Dream, and for cocktail dresses, is so. good. Really nice things. Also, I like One of a Few, and Rubi and Kino has cocktail stuff. My experience with dress clothes is that something that suits your personal style rather then trends, fits well, and was found in a one-off store, is easier and more fun to rock than something cheap that was found in a chain store.

12. Miss604Thursday, October 9th, 2008 — 7:56am PST

Wow great suggestions everyone, thanks. I have about 24 hours now so I’ll see how many of these I can hit 😉

13. Mom-in-lawThursday, October 9th, 2008 — 10:49am PST

I agree with Raul. You look good no matter what you wear and that’s not just me talking, Grandma said the same thing!

14. Tanya (aka NetChick)Thursday, October 9th, 2008 — 11:52am PST

I second the Main Street suggestion above — I have found absolutely awesome dresses there for really great prices.

Alternatively, I have several size 10 dresses in my closet you could borrow, if they wouldn’t be too big on ya.

Good luck!

15. fotoeinsThursday, October 9th, 2008 — 1:56pm PST

I will say this about the photo you used in your post about gala-wear : you and Keira look very good.

16. VIFF Closing Gala Party – The Dress » Vancouver Blog Miss 604 by Rebecca BollwittSaturday, October 11th, 2008 — 12:40pm PST

[…] the world. I’ll have a full report on the awards ceremony on E! early next week but since I had originally put the party call out on my site, I thought I would update my readers on my dress […]