Capilano Suspension Bridge Park Anniversary Deals

WordCamp at BarCamp 2008: Your Input Needed

Thursday, September 4th, 2008 — 7:04am PDT

Duane Storey on Flickr

BarCamp Vancouver is fast-approaching and while organizers have set the dates and locations (September 25th on Granville Island), Duane and I need your input with regards to the WordCamp programme.

This WordPress specific track will be all about, you guessed it, WordPress – the world’s number on blogging platform.

WordCamp @ BarCamp will have its own venue (the Playwright’s Theatre), split with PhotoCamp, and will take the morning spot from 10:00am until 11:30am.

As is this an unconference, topics and speakers are decided the day-of the event. However, to make sure we have the right resources or can get an idea of what folks want to learn, feel free to submit questions ahead of time.

Theming tips? What is WordPress? Security issues (*cough*Kulpreet*cough*)?, Using photos with WordPress? Favourite Plugins? WordPress as a CMS? Thoughts on WordPress 2.7? etc.?

You can do so on Duane’s post, in the comments of this post, or preferably on the BarCamp wiki page (scroll down).

WordPress Screencast tutorial – Adding photo captions

WordPress will also be sending over some goodies that we can share with the attendees as well. We look forward to seeing you there!

1. Tyler Ingram says:

I’m on the waiting list still ๐Ÿ™ There are 26 people ahead of me!

For me I’d like more information on Theme creating. I’ve done one personal theme already and will be working on 2 other themes quite shortly and I am always up for learning more! Codex is your friend! Pretty much I took Kubrick, stripped it naked and built it from the ground up to see how ‘The Loop’ works and the various WordPress functions work with it. Though people would need to previously know, HTML, CSS, PHP and preferably enjoy being XHTML compliant too.

Though I guess I would consider myself a more advanced user for WordPress as I’ve done plugins, a theme and various other WordPress hacks that most users I am sure wouldn’t dare do. I just remember that WordCamp FV and theming etc was a bit above the attendee’s heads.

WordPress as a CMS would be good too. I mean people use Drupal, Joomla etc and I know of sites that use WordPress too and its execution isn’t that bad either.

Perhaps the jump from going WordPress.com to Self-hosted WordPress.org (in hopes to entice Raul more) and how to export from WP.com and import back into a newly installed wordpress.org site?

Whew the ideas are just pouring out of my head this morning! lol

All good topics, thanks Tyler!

3. Raul says:

If we can get my site up and running in less than two weeks (e.g. upon my return, or maybe start the migration next week), we could speak to the process. When I presented at WordCamp Fraser Valley, some people chimed in on the topic of “Switching to WordPress”. Here are their suggestions.

Raul, sixty4media can get your site up and running within a day if all the pieces are in place with the host (right servers, domain propagation etc.)

5. Tania says:

Since there is a waitlist, and some interested parties might not be able to attend, could there be any plans in the works to podcast any of the sessions?

6. Dave says:

Hi Rebecca — I’m attending and am interested in presenting or contributing to the Wordcamp session.

I have recently integrated WP as a CMS for a number client sites in a variety of niches, and would love to share that experience as part of the session.

dave

7. Duane storey says:

also remember that presenters need to be signed up to barcamp already. But great list so far.

8. Hi Rebecca ๐Ÿ™‚

I would love exploration of WordPress as a CMS, WordPress as a Social Network (BuddyPress – Andy P.), and WordPress for Non-profits. But I’m not sure if these could be covered in a small session.

I have kind of been out of the loop and off Twitter since the middle of July (which is a long time I guess in the Internet world) so I don’t remember if I registered for BarCamp but I’ll double check.

-k.s.

9. Paul says:

WordPress2.7 I’d love true multi-page blogging not the category fudge. Pure and simple, that would make it rise above the rest.

I hope you guys are going to make the most of Agro Cafe @ Granville. While in Vancouver, Stefan and the guys put up with me and my macbook pro every single day. Stunning stunning coffee and a great space. I tried to get them to switch their site to WordPress, but alas I failed.

10. Keith says:

I’m also on the wait list still, but should I manage to get there, I’d love to see a WordPress plugin session. Both on the dev side, and maybe a “feature your favourite plugins” breakout session.

I’m in my rather early days of plugin development (only a couple of basic ones under my belt) and would love to get some live guidance from someone.

IKON Russian Vodka Taste Test