Tuesday Morning Link Fest: Butting Out Poll

Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008 — 9:30am PST

I decided to toss in a link fest this week to lighten the mood, get some more topics out there, and cover some ground before I take off.

– The last year has been a big one for smokers in BC; first there was the patio smoking ban, then the updates in March that made it an offense to smoke within 6 meters of entrance ways (among other stipulations). Recently two landmarks in Vancouver have also tossed around the idea of going smoke-free.

Vancouver Beaches:

… staff have been talking with their colleagues at the park board about extending current smoking bans in Vancouver at restaurants and entranceways to beaches, playgrounds, and playing fields in public parks. It is unlikely any ban would be put in place this summer, though. [CBC]

Grouse Mountain:

Grouse Mountain says tobacco just doesn’t fit with the healthy lifestyle it’s trying to promote… …Grouse Mountain has decided to go smoke-free by winter, and this has become a hot topic on the street. [News1130]

You can submit your thoughts using the poll below and feel free to follow up with a comment.

– In other news, there’s a heron carcass up in a tree in Stanley Park that is causing some problems due to its odor. [News1130]

– Burnaby’s own Michael J Fox will be appearing in the next season of Rescue Me (one of our favourite shows) [GlobeAndMail]

– And the Sea Wall is finally getting some much-needed repairs on sections that have been waiting for almost two years to get fixed. [News1130]

[poll=11]

1. Tyler Ingram says:

I read this on CBC’s website and noted how I hate walking through the beaches of Vancouver (first/second/third beaches in particular) and having cigarette butts slip through my toes and stuff. Nasty.

Just because they trucked in industrial sand doesn’t mean people can use it like an ashtray! lol The sand is similar to that you see in ash trays or used to anyway. It’s dirty sand! anyway that’s a side rant of mine..

How soon will Metro Vancouver be ‘smoke free’?? Would it get that far?

2. I’m not the first to say it, but for me, it always comes down to the littering factor. I don’t care about the smoking as much as it’s the mess that some people leave behind. There is something unappealing when you curl your toes in the sand and come up with a cigarette butt between them.

Otherwise, I say that you should be able to light up in a public, open air setting like the beach. Just have some common sense about it, but we wouldn’t be having this conversation if it weren’t for that minority who make this a problem.

3. Jeremy says:

There’s a law in place about throwing waste on the beach or anywhere else: littering. If this debate is about the garbage then make it about the garbage. If it is about the smoking then they should make a few beaches non-smoking for those who are concerned.

4. Phaedra says:

I agree with John. I don’t care if you smoke in your car, house (not mine) or outside, just don’t toss out your butts. But the mass majority of smokers do, like it’s ok to litter butts ’cause they’re small. And I noticed this year at Wreck the butts are particularly bad. Yuck.

5. Brian LeRoux says:

Its unfortunate we live in a society where regulation is (apparently) necessary to enforce decent manners. I don’t care if people smoke. Don’t do it around babies. Pick up your trash. Don’t be so fucking loud on your cellphone. Etc.

We’re trying to have a civilization around here people.

6. Keira-Anne says:

I don’t much care either way for the smoking, but as others said, it’s the cigarette butts left behind that bother me. There’s a beautiful, grassy courtyard behind my office building, and smokers are constantly leaving their butts all over the place by the dozen and it’s just gross. I even think the patio smoking ban is a bit extreme. As much as I hate the smell of smoke, everyone has their vice, so who am I to bitch about it?

As for playgrounds – those are definite grounds for banishment of smoking, excuse the pun. Same goes for smoking in a car or confined space when children are present. Though those instances can’t really be policed, the kids have no say in the matter and it’s simply common sense not to smoke in front of them. You could even make the argument that it’s a form of abuse in some regard.

7. Ross says:

I suppose as the only admitted smoker to leave a comment so far, I should pipe up (no pun intended). I’m w/ Keira-Anne on this one – even as a smoker. Pick them up, throw them out. No matter what the location. They even sell little air-tight containers for just that purpose. Make this silly law about littering, not smoking.

Don’t smoke around children. Make it illegal in playgrounds, school yards and cars w/ kids. Common sense stuff.

8. I agree with the general sentiment of the posts above in that there should be some enforcement with regards to littering cigarette butts.

I assumed that smoking in playgrounds is already prohibited. If not, it obviously should be prohibited as it second-hand smoke is especially harmful to children.

I think it should definitely be stopped in bus line-ups. That’s the one thing that always used to get me when I was a student. I still sometimes use transit and standing in a bus lineup behind a smoker is not fun. Keep in mind that there are also often children, seniors and others in the lineup for whom exposure to secondhand smoke is even more serious than the normal person; but they may not be able to step out of the line for whatever reason. In fact, why should they step out of the line? I think the person smoking should have courtesy to smoke outside of the line, and then join the line when they’re done.

9. marco says:

Fine I can understand tobacco, but can i smoke my bong on the beach, i don’t leave a mess.

10. Tom says:

Simple solution to this problem.
    Instead of blanketing a beach with no smoking, the powers to be should just tighten up the ‘Litter’ Law

11. Billy Whyde says:

Whoa here we have the wrong BAN as topic! Let’s see exposure to the sun can cause skin cancer thus by all so called intelligent CAREER CANCER ADICTS exposure should be banned. In Ohio for example a legislator has proposed a legislative bill to ban anyone under 18 from a tanning booth without a doctors prescription! Reason oh California came up with the idea and UV light causes skin cancer! Hmm I can now see road workers with e 2 meter sun umbrella on top of their hard hats.
    Amazingly the religious groups haven’t used the sun skin cancer mode to ban nudist colonies yet!

12. […] this week I had a poll on my site about the potential smoking ban on Vancouver beaches. Contrary to past articles I have written that […]

Blogathon Vancouver 2008: Pledge Form Now Live