A Vancouver Girl's Guide to the iPhone Part 4

Friday, May 30th, 2008 — 10:23am PST

I haven’t touched on my Vancouver Girl iPhone series in a while but I figure with its presence in the movie last night, and the Apple Store opening last weekend, it was time for a revival. What makes this latest edition special? It’s a hybrid iPhone series AND Link Fest.

Nuh uh– First off, a quick note that ties into last night’s Sex and the City Movie. Carrie is admittedly, as always, technologically challenged. When I opened up the 24 Hours this morning I saw a neat article about the “Geek Chic” toys used by the girls in the film however knowing my gadgets I found it was inaccurate (not to be too picky, because it was a really cute concept).

But to get things straight, Carrie does not own a MacBook Air in the movie, but a MacBook Pro. Also, Samantha is the one with the iPhone.

– The Apple Store opened up downtown last week and John Biehler was there taking pics and checking the place out.

I managed to head in with John (my husband, John) that afternoon and bought some iKlear to clean my MacBook and iPhone screens.

Note: There is no cashier or checkout, just a roaming hand-held wireless device and they can email you a receipt so you actually don’t have to touch or sign anything. Oh, and they’ll butter you up and tell you that you have a pretty name and face – although John says that’s just all a part of the “Apple Experience”.

Photo credit: John Biehler on Flickr

– I got my fancy shmancy bedazzled iPhone case down at Bellis Fair for $12. It’s a nice little hard case that isn’t too heavy and it’s a nice change up from the silicone wrap that I got at the Crystal Mall in Burnaby (and that I got for my birthday from John Biehler). I’m not sure how long it will last as I’m already noticing some peeling so I’ll be switching it back to my other pink covers pretty soon. It’s just nice to have variety.

Hat tip to Tanya for sharing some of her iPhone protection with me as well.

Final note, I’ve heard a lot of people lately talking about how their clients, friends or bosses have recently purchased iPhones and have no idea how to work them. I have to say that if you’re already familiar with Macs, then you have a far better chance of understanding and catching on to the iPhone. If you are coming from Windows and Blackberry land the learning curve could be steep so be prepared.

From personal experience, I know there was certainly some stress involved while trying to comprehend the simplicity of Apple after so many years in PC land. I would suspect someone going from a Nokia to an iPhone wouldn’t know how to automatically start setting up their email, installing apps etc.

However, there’s a huge support system of iPhone’rs in Vancouver as well so make sure you do some research – “slide to unlock” is the first step.

**This is not discouraging anyone from buying an iPhone, I would say the same thing about buying a car that isn’t an automatic if you haven’t ever driven stick before… err which I kind of also did ;-)**

• Enter here to win a $100 gift card for Potters Christmas Store (until Nov 23)
  • Enter here to win a Date Night to Akram Khan’s Chotto Desh plus $50 for dinner at Silk Vancouver (until Nov 18)
  • Enter here to win a $50 Indigo gift card (until Nov 17)
  • Enter here to win tickets to see Ed the Sock's War on Stupid tour (until Nov 22)
  • Enter here to win tickets to see the Barra MacNeils in North Van (until Nov 17)
  • Enter here to win tickets to A Charlie Brown Holiday Double Bill (until Nov 19)
  • View a complete list of contests »

1. Raul says:

I’m going to Mac-ify myself and then go to the iPhone. Long, steep learning curve, here I come! πŸ˜€

2. John Biehler says:

@Raul it’s not as hard/steep as you think….you’re a frickin’ Phd…I’m sure you’ll have no problems. πŸ˜‰

@John – not as hard/steep for those who are used to computers and know how to configure their own email settings in Outlook or Mail…

I think the geek/non-allergic-to-computer population of Vancouver is still in the minority. I’m sure my IT guy John could attest to that πŸ˜‰

4. John Biehler says:

I completely disagree… Macs are the ideal computer the computer-phobic or first time users and at the same time, are great for ubernerds that want to get under the hood.

Case in point: my mother-in-law used to bug me all the time for (PC) computer help and she only barely knew how to do email and not much else. Once her PC finally died, I was able to convince her to get a Mac (an iBook). Aside from showing her how to do something in Gmail, I’ve never had to help her with anything other than convincing her that she doesn’t need a virus program.

Apple has fantastic help and support, both online (videos even!) and on the machines themselves. Many things, like setting up email are done with wizards so it’s a few click process. As Raul will be buying his first Mac, he’ll also get access to phone support from Apple (albeit limited unless he gets full AppleCare), there is now a local store that can help him with any questions if one of us can’t help him via Twitter or whatever.

The biggest thing Raul needs to do is not fear the change…it’s much more painless than he thinks and there is excellent support to help him (or anyone) along the way.

I for one know that a Mac is the simplest thing to use however, from my experience and from dealing with many people who simply purchase a gadget for the sake of saying they own one, the number who actually learn how to figure it out on their own is sometimes discouraging.

6. John Biehler says:

I think we should make that list an online wall of shame πŸ˜‰

7. Duane Storey says:

I think a lot of people (especially enterprise users) have purchased iPhones simply because they are cool. And in that end, it’s way different that a Nokia N95, or a blackberry, or my crappy Samsung ACRAP880. I love the Apple UI on the iPhone and found it completely trivial to figure out. But it’s a complete 180 in terms of UI design paradigms, and I can understand how some people (mainly those people used to overcomplicated gadgets) might have a bit of culture shock on a new device. That being said, I think it’s a bump that shouldn’t be enormously hard to get over, and that once you’re used to the simplicity and elegant of the Apple UI design, it will be hard to go back.

“I can’t print”.

9. John Biehler says:

“You’re doing it wrong!”

10. Duane Storey says:

Ok, let’s all camp now. Spider camp, spider camp.

11. πŸ™‚ Glad you are enjoying your BodyGuardz! I’ve got a contest starting next week for a BodyGuardz kit…

12. Michael Kwan says:

No cashier? Do they have a fanny pack to make change for those paying with cash?

13. Michael Kwan says:

Wait a minute. Carrie had an HTC Touch Diamond in the movie? The phone didn’t even exist (technically) while the film was being produced.

Von Bondies Play Richards on Richards