Friday Morning Link Fest: From Caucuses to Geekery

For such a short week, it’s been a whirlwind. To get straight to the point, here are some news and geeky tidbits for this Friday morning that just couldn’t come soon enough.

• Obama and Huckabee top their parties in the Iowa caucuses. [Canoe] I just have to ask um, who is Huckabee?
  • Canadian Idol comes to Burnaby (Metrotown) this February. [News1130]
  • On a more talented note, I want Alan Cross’s audiobook, “The Alan Cross Guide to Alternative Rock” for my birthday. [Metro]
  • Police are hiding out in fast food drive thrus in Surrey, on the lookout for drunk drivers. I’d have to suggest the 24 hour Burger King or the A&W on KGH if the Ozone was still there. [Surrey Leader]
  • For a change of pace, head out to a Stanley Park Eco Walk any Sunday, rain or shine. I think the $10 walk sounds like a great alternative for tourists and visiting in-laws who have already done the Big Bus/Trolley tour. [StanleyParkEcology]
  • The stinkin’ rangers were in town for the first time in five years, Alanah had a discussion going all night on her blog. [CanucksAndBeyond]
  • Some Skytrain stations will get a facelift in 2009. [PaulHillsdon]

• Photo credit: Richard Eriksson on Flickr
  • Jan sent me a link with some neat conference live blogging tips. I’ll probably have to expand on my “How to Live Blog” post soon but John also sent me another link about live blogging: “What the NCAA doesn’t seem to realize is how helpful live bloggers are at promoting collegiate athletics to their most passionate fans.” [Read: War Against Live Blogging]
  • I pride myself on my quick Google lookup skills. You need to know something and I have a computer handy? I usually can piece together the exact search parameters to get you a result ASAP (yeah that is almost the nerdiest thing I’ve ever written). At any rate, here are 10 Obscure Google Search Tips from LifeHacker that I didn’t know.
  • Compelling Design has put together a YouTube montage of 365 Flickr photos, one for each day in 2007. head over and see if your pic is included as the creator was nice enough to link all images used.
  • Raincity Studios responds to Techvibe’s “Vancouver tech-industry leaders to watch in 2008” as there are no women represented. Kris Krug and Dave Olson put together an amazing list of inspiring and intelligent web 2.0 women and I’m very honored to be mentioned among them. Head over to the post and make your suggestions if you think anyone’s missing. [Raincity Studios]

• Current Contests on Miss604
    *All contests are open to residents of Canada only, unless otherwise stated. Contest timelines are published on each individual post along with entry methods. Some contests may only be open to those 19 years of age and older. Winners are announced on the contest blog posts. Contest policy »

1. JohnFriday, January 4th, 2008 — 6:38am PST

Mike Huckabee IS Chuck Norris…. APPROVED what more do you need to know?

Best paid-for political ad. Ever.

2. JohnFriday, January 4th, 2008 — 8:00am PST

Hmm…I’m pretty sure I typed Huckabee is Chuck Norris APPROVED….but it was 6:38am.

3. Miss604Friday, January 4th, 2008 — 8:42am PST

haha oops when I was cleaning up the hyperlink to the video I must have scooped that out 😛 I’ll fix!

4. carol browneFriday, January 4th, 2008 — 11:59am PST

Congratulations Rebecca! I’ve been seeing your name and website posted all over the place. Everywhere I look – there you are. Good job.

5. PatZFriday, January 4th, 2008 — 2:33pm PST

I can’t take Huckabee seriously after Talking To Americans.

6. Miss604Friday, January 4th, 2008 — 2:34pm PST

The more I read about him the more scared I become.

7. jasonFriday, January 4th, 2008 — 4:46pm PST

Thanks for mentioning the Flickr slideshow – and sharing your photos on the site. September 29th is the date for your fans!

8. fotoeinsSaturday, January 5th, 2008 — 12:38am PST

Eins/Uno:

IMHO, any fan of music in this country (or just music in general) should consider listening to Alan Cross’ “The Ongoing History of New Music”. I feel very fortunate to have discovered his afternoon shifts on CFNY 102.1 in the mid- to late-90s … oddly enough, right before George S’ hosting “Live in Toronto” at 6pm …

Zwo/Dos:

Really wished I had more time to have walked around Stanley Park … even in the drizzle/spittle …

9. RaulMonday, January 7th, 2008 — 8:39pm PST

I’m confused Rebecca. I found the men’s list but not the women’s list. Where is it? Congratulations on your nomination, though!

10. Miss604Monday, January 7th, 2008 — 10:42pm PST

Raul – click that last “raincity” link I have at the end of the post 🙂

11. DaveOTuesday, January 8th, 2008 — 12:02pm PST

You were a no-brainer for the Tech Women to Watch list Becks! I am personally glad to get to collaborate on so many projects. Here’s to a huge 2008 for you with the Miss604 site and your professional endeavours (and the Canucks winning the Stanley Cup too of course).