Big Sisters Luminary Soiree

Thursday Morning Link Fest: Canucks Edition

Thursday, December 13th, 2007 — 8:49am PDT

Actually, this should be called the “why am I sick again” edition, but seeing as how I’m not having surgery and I didn’t beat the Stanley Cup Champions last night, I’ll leave the post title as-is.

• Brendan Morrison who held the league’s “Ironman” title for current active players is getting wrist surgery [TSN]. Meanwhile everyone panicked that we were facing Anaheim without Luongo and bet against our boys. I admit, I couldn’t have predicted that call ups Raymond and Jaffray were going to do as well as they did.
  • Great job by Sanford to hold off the Ducks, especially in the third period, and to Mitchell. He always seems to be our second goalie, shutting down players left and right.
  • I am participating in Skate for a Cure, won’t you join me?
  • USA Today has paid all their NBA reporters to just go away [CanucksAndBeyond]
  • There is a local and green Christmas market this Saturday on Main Street and 15th [EatLocal], and there’s also suggestions about buying a real, cut Christmas tree would be better for the environment than getting anything artificial [News1130]. (I think I read about that somewhere before).
  • There is no longer any opposition to putting up shelters in Tri-City churches for the homeless this winter (from January to March) [CKNW]
  • Our new “Super C” class ferry will be arriving in Vancouver harbour this afternoon (between noon and 1230), after taking a pretty long route to get here via the Panama Canal. It will sail in under the Lions Gate, pivot, twirl, and pose all fierce-like for the paparazzi, then head to Nanaimo. [News1130] Just don’t anyone call it a “fast ferry” *shudder*.
  • Current contests on Miss604.com

1. Raul says:

Dang it. For the first time in my life as a Main Street boy, there is a Christmas market near my house (incredibly close to my house, as a matter of fact). And guess what? I’m more than 6000 miles away, in a city that is sunny, warm and definitely not surrounded by water as is Vancouver. But I wish I was there, if for no other reason, just to take advantage of the Market on Main and 15th.

2. Jenny says:

I agree about the real christmas trees. I imagine that manufacturing plastic trees in some plant somewhere and shipping them to various retail outlets is more damaging. Real trees are grown over several years for the purpose of using as christmas trees so it’s not like we are damaging forests for that reason and as they grow they are helping to clean the air. When you are done with them they are chipped up. I wonder how long an old plastic tree takes to decompose in a landfill? Personally I still love how our family used to dig up our tree every year, bring it in and then replant it. Once it got too big to come in the house it would continue to grow in the yard and we’d get a new one. Although , this is really not practical for most people seeing as big yards are a rareity in the city.

3. Alex says:

We adopted a fake tree from the thrift store this year and wont be disposing of it for years. Hard to believe the thousands of acres of cut christmas trees can be more green that that.

By the way, there are not enough pictures of hot blog owner on miss604 lately.

4. Hey, missed ya last weekend! We all had a blast!

That ferry is ginormous! Holy. I can’t wait for it to be in service.

5. Richard says:

This is going to sound sarcastic based on my recent statements about social media triumphalism, but I don’t think I would have known about the ferry pirouetting in Burrard Inlet had it not been for this post. Thanks, Rebecca! Not sure how big a deal it is for lifetime Lower Mainland residents, but having grown up on Vancouver Island, BC Ferries is a part of my identity, so it was neat to see the latest of the fleet strutting its stuff outside my office window.

6. Shilin says:

Artificial trees can be used for multiple years though.. anyway, I like the real ones, but don’t wanna spend too much time on it. ๐Ÿ™‚ Merry X’mas, guys!

7. Tawcan says:

Too bad the Canucks lost tonight. ๐Ÿ™

I can’t wait to ride those big ferries. Hopefully they’ll last longer than those “fast ferries.”

8. Keira-Anne says:

Yah…not gonna lie. I’m stoked for a little bit of new life to be breathed into my monotonous ferry trips.

The Amazing Hunt on YouTube