Snow Day in Vancouver

Sunday, December 2nd, 2007 — 4:41pm PDT

It’s the second of December, there’s Christmas trees up everywhere you look (staring politically correctness in the face) and Metro Vancouver is covered in snow. When we were in Iowa last week we swore up and down, “no, it doesn’t snow like this at home.” We were wrong apparently.

Our snow was not only shaken from white wash buckets down the sky, it came shawling out of the ground and swam and drifted out of the arms and hands and bodies of the trees; snow grew overnight on the roofs of the houses like a pure and grandfather moss, minutely-ivied the walls and settled on the postman. [Dylan Thomas – A Child’s Christmas in Whales]

Yes, 6 cm of snow is a big deal to Left Coasters. It will soon be gone though, with temperatures creeping up to the double-digits tomorrow with accompanying rain but to savour this wintery blast a while longer, here are some beautiful shots by some of my Flickr contacts.

Photo credit: Megan Cole on Flickr

Photo credit: Roland Tanglao on Flickr

Photo credit: Matthew Good on Flickr

Photo credit: Derek Miller on Flickr

Photo credit: John Biehler on Flickr

Photo credit: Phillip Jeffrey on Flickr

• Enter here to win tickest to see Herringbone at the Anvil Centre (until Sept 24)
  • Enter here to win tickets to the Coquitlam Express hockey games this weekend (until Sept 20)
  • Enter here to win an Oktoberfest at at the Alpen Club prize pack (until Sept 19)
  • Enter here to win tickets to Le Concert Spirituel Baroque Orchestra Suites (until Sept 19)
  • View a complete list of contests »

1. John says:

Funny how we all got out our cameras and captured the event like it was Christmas….meanwhile the rest of the country yawns.

2. Jg says:

I’ve got a shot of today’s white stuff on my flickr – feel free to use it if you want.

3. tyfn says:

I don’t know if I would have done the same if I was still living in Ontario for the first snowfall.

4. I opted to stay indoors today.
    Great photos.
    Our city does look nice done up in snow.

5. wyn says:

Yippee! We got our first snow before East Coasters (by that, I do mean Maritimers) did! Although the temperature will rise tomorrow, it’s really and truly Canadian winter-looking today. I got to throw a few snowballs but will be glad to be able to run without breaking my neck tomorrow!

6. […] but you know what, WalMart was still open. Im wasnt surprised. None of that today for me, but the Left Coasters are experience it, albeit only 6 cm of it, compared the the 2-3 feet I had last […]

7. KevBo says:

My neck of the woods had an awful snow day last year, so I guess its your turn

8. J says:

No fair! I’m down in Portland and still no snow!

9. Raul says:

I love the way snow makes this city look prettier. But I hate driving in the snow (unless winter tires are there).

10. fotoeins says:

Did the snow white last
    Quiet on the western front
    Play, fight, sleep, and write

11. Tyler says:

Very nifty pictures.
    Reminds me of one winter we had while I was living in Vancouver (I lived there from 2000-2003, and I’m fairly sure this happened in the winter of 2001).
    I’d just moved out of my flat above the Dominoe’s Pizza on Joyce and Kingsway to one on 128th street in Surrey.
    No sooner had I completed moving in the rain turned to snow, as if someone had thrown a switch.
    I don’t think I’m remembering it as clearly as it really happened, but I seem to remember it snowing about a foot.
    I do remember clearly, though, the entire city being shut down and everyone terrified of going out.
    I thought this a trifle on the funny side, as I’m originally from Utah, where it’s not uncommon to get three feet of snow in a matter of hours.
    I took several photos from my apartment balcony, but I’ll have to dig them out as they are from my 35mm pre-digital days; I’ll see about getting them scanned and onto my blog.

cheers!