Northern Voice – MooseCamp 2008

Wednesday, November 14th, 2007 — 6:00am PST

Northern Voice - Darren BarefootIt seems like yesterday that John and I were spending our first wedding anniversary weekend with several other hundred local geeks, bloggers, hipster nerds and podcasters at Northern Voice.

Well the mighty fine organizers of the biggest blogging conference to hit lotusland, and the folks who brought you the legendary “bloggablet-shirt are back at it again, plotting for MooseCamp2008.

From Darren Barefoot, who’s on the organizing committee:

The format–Friday for Moose Camp, Saturday for more formal conference–and location–UBC Forestry Building–will be the same as last year, more or less. Here are the important dates:

• The conference is Friday, February 22 and Saturday, February 23.
  • There’s talk of a party or some kind of social event (though not a dinner) on Thursday, February 21.
  • Speaker submissions close on December 10. Speaker selection will be announced before Christmas.

• Photo credit: John Bollwitt on Flickr

Registration isn’t open yet, but it will be soon. I’ll post a note when you can officially register. We’re also seeking sponsors as per previous years–contact the organizing committee if you’re interested.

Photo credit: Dingo on Flickr

Things I took away from last year’s MooseCamp:

1) Tod Maffin in front of Radio-Canada TV cameras and wooden ducks in the bowels of the CBC bunker have become some of my most-viewed Flickr photos EVER.

2) Dave is the ultimate unconference speaker on the topic of podcasting.

3) Jay and Dingo are really great people, with whom I’m glad to have spent more time with at BarCamp.

Photo credit: Duane Storey on Flickr

4) Creepy guy who came up to me and talked about my Matt Good live blog the summer before turned out to be not-so-creepy Mr. Duane Storeyand the rest is history

For more information, check out the official site and join the event’s Facebook Group. It seems as though there is a ‘brown’ish theme this year, which might go over better than the purple of 2007 and which might be more popular than the pink @ BarCamp, although I thought it looked pretty hot.

• Enter here to win a $100 Fresh Prep gift card (until Nov 23)
    • Enter here to win a Date Night to Akram Khan’s Chotto Desh plus $50 for dinner at Silk Vancouver (until Nov 18)
    • Enter here to win tickets to A Charlie Brown Holiday Double Bill (until Nov 19)
    • Enter here to win tickets to see Ed the Sock's War on Stupid tour (until Nov 22)
    • Enter here to win a $100 gift card for Potters Christmas Store (until Nov 23)
    • View a complete list of contests »

1. Duane Storey says:

I’m gonna be way cooler this year.

2. Jennie says:

I’ve already requested days off of work to come to this… Can’t wait to be in BC again!!

3. Dan says:

This definitely looks like it’s going to be great 🙂 I’ll be trying to make it, if I can!

You should really think about speaking this year (if you’re not already). With your live-blogging experience, along with everything else you’ve accomplished this year; I’m sure you have a very interesting and knowledgable perspective to share! I’d come out JUST for that. 😉

4. Raul says:

I hope to attend. Actually I’ve wanted to attend in previous years (even when I wasn’t blogging) but something always prevented me from doing so. I hope this will be the year I’ll be there!

You should definitely come – even if you’re not a blogger, it caters to everyone and it’s a great way to learn, grow, network, and meet cool people 🙂

6. Dave says:

Glad you dug my preso last year Becks. Was totally fun to have so many of my fave podding-pals in the auditorium. Several people who weren’t there had heard about it (shock) so wondering if i should do it again or mix it up this year? Perhaps an “image only” presentation or an interpretive dance routine ;-). Maybe do something about “making edu-tainment for social good” though i am not sure i know how to exactly do that.

You can’t go wrong with puppets 😛 I think podcasting wasn’t represented enough, especially at Barcamp so you should for sure do another pres. We’re hoping to get Alanah off the Island so the Crazies could be represented in full this year!

8. Raul says:

Ok, I will definitely come. And I’ll come to the next Vancouver Blogger Meetup, but that won’t happen in December as I’ll be in a country with warmer climate (22 oC vs. 4 oC in Vancouver right now).

Yay 😀