WTS- What the Surrey? #3

Even though my blogging hasn’t been as frequent since the dark day in hockey last week, I am fully capable of cranking out the third weekly “WTS – What the Surrey”.

If you’re just tuning in, find out more about WTS in this post. I have to thank everyone for their guesses, and feedback, including those that have sent along some really positive comments about WTS. Also, Dave Chesney left another question in last week’s comments “If you really want a brain teaser for your readers, see if anyone can tell you the name of 154th Street in Surrey, in particular in North Surrey,” so feel free to answer that one in the comments below as well.

Today’s trivia challenge is in two parts, both of which are going to be a little interactive hopefully to keep everyone in the game a little longer (and of course, to keep the Surrey education going).

Liquidation World 1) Trivia: I took this photo last weekend after walking by the latest Liquidation World’s. The business that used to occupy that space shut down in 2005 and I’m pretty glad that I got to visit it one last time with my niece before it did. Can you name what legendary establishment that used to stand in this location? Also, feel free to share your fond experiences in the comments when you guess (hint: mmm snocones).

2) Call for Answers: While looking up the vicinity of the place in question 1, I came across something a little puzzling on Google Maps. Apparently the parking lot roadway at Central City (that would take you from Zellers to Future Shop) is called the “Milton Datus Hammond Memorial Drive”. Now… is Google Maps just going a little nutty because I never heard the mall roadway being called this before or is there really a story behind a dedication here?
centralcityparking.jpg

If you know what used to be in question 1 and/or the story behind question 2, please leave your answers in the comments section. As per usual, if you have anything you’d like to donate as a prize, fire me an email on the Contact Form.

Current Contests on Miss604
*All contests are open to residents of Canada only, unless otherwise stated. Contest timelines are published on each individual post along with entry methods. Some contests may only be open to those 19 years of age and older. Winners are announced on the contest blog posts. Contest policy »

1. RodTuesday, May 8th, 2007 — 2:58pm PDT

Hmmm…would it be the Stardust roller skating rink?

2. Miss604Tuesday, May 8th, 2007 — 5:16pm PDT

That’s right! Geez, no more guesses because it’s a nice sunny day and we should all be outside and not stuck in front of computers all day? hehe.

Stardust: “Stardust Enterprises Ltd. operated roller skating rinks in the Vancouver area of British Columbia from 1964-2005. The last center in Surrey closed on June 25, 2005. Stardust Enterprises is no longer operating roller skating rinks…”

Although the roller skating fun still exists in an in-school form: “Stardust Kids on Wheels Ltd. offers inschool lessons, traveling roller parties (indoor only) and equipment rental (including props for movies or stage). We are also selling new skates and parts” [Roller Skating BC]

3. Mom604Wednesday, May 9th, 2007 — 12:11pm PDT

The Stardust used to be at Guildford shopping mall back in my youth (late 60’s, early 70’s) It was an outdoor rink and I spent every Friday night rolling around with my friends. I felt so cool with the colour-co-ordinated pom-poms on my skates.

4. RodThursday, May 10th, 2007 — 9:56am PDT

Only memory I have of the place was from the one time I went there with my girlfriend in grade 10, so I guess about 1984 or so. Back in the long hair/heavy metal days. The place was incredibly loud and crowded.

5. JennyThursday, May 10th, 2007 — 4:44pm PDT

I remember going there as a kid for birthday parties and youth group and then as a teenager. Who doesn’t like rolleskating?!

6. Miss604Thursday, May 10th, 2007 — 11:05pm PDT

It was very interactive and dynamic – like the Chicken Dance in the middle of the rink, or “reverse” skate… oh boy there’s no tellin what was coming at you next! Roller skating is so much fun though, and yes the snowcones – my goodness the snocones.

7. tomjFriday, September 14th, 2007 — 9:00am PDT

Response to Question 2. I have found twenty-five “Milton Datus Memorial Drives” in the US and Canada. They include alleys, entrances to malls, sections of cemetary roads, etc. Milton Datus Hammond was a Mormon who lived from 1831 to 1905. He had four wives (simultaneously) and produced 26 children. I think someone found a clever way to memorialize an ancestor using Google maps.

8. wayneTuesday, October 7th, 2008 — 2:29pm PDT

my father was part owner of the stardust.the first one was it cultus lake and it was outdoors on a tennis coury like surface.the music came from a juke box which later ended up in our barn in matsqui.i am very sad that the rink had to close but apparently no one was coming anymore,does anyone know why? i would think people would still like to at least roller blade indoors when the weather is bad with other people and good music.i also went to liquidation world this summer(2008)and had fond memories especially while looking at the dj booth and remembering the times i played the music.(1975-1978)anyway,it is really nice to see your comments.peace.

9. wayneTuesday, October 7th, 2008 — 2:30pm PDT

my father was part owner of the stardust.the first one was at cultus lake and it was outdoors on a tennis court like surface.the music came from a juke box which later ended up in our barn in matsqui.i am very sad that the rink had to close but apparently no one was coming anymore,does anyone know why? i would think people would still like to at least roller blade indoors when the weather is bad with other people and good music.i also went to liquidation world this summer(2008)and had fond memories especially while looking at the dj booth and remembering the times i played the music.(1975-1978)anyway,it is really nice to see your comments.peace.

10. Roller SkatingMonday, October 27th, 2008 — 12:39pm PDT

I remember roller skating there when I was young (a long time ago). Had a blaste every Saturday night with all my school friends. Great days!